What's new
What's new

Seeking tips- HRT platter o-ring install. Getting o-ring to fall onto bevel

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Hi everyone,
The Son is nearing first part on 3+2! Only item left:
We did find our slow leak on the HRT160 unit. So we bought a new platter o-ring, and the 2 oil wicks. The o-ring sits around a bevel edge of the platter. This bevel is right at the edge of the platter to base face. When on the unit correctly it is squeezing on the bevel area, but wanting to roll down the bevel at the base. This downward roll/seating seals in the oil from leaking out the edge between the platter and the platter base. There is a 3/16" groove above the bevel into the platter belly... you can get the ring to stay in the groove when you install, but we could not get the o-ring to fall down onto the bevel when put onto the base. Mallet tapping did nothing. Trid to put it on the edge and flip over gently.. o-ring just rolls off the bevel. (pic below) Grrrrrr.
hrt160beveledge.jpg

kinda cool design but dang if this is'nt some tricky stuff to get back on right. I'm an EET, not a ME. :-( You guys have so many cool industry techniques... Got one for this?

All I came up w/ was like sliding a pizza off a wooden paddle... 2 pieces. 1/2 platter OD each (w/ middle cut out. (think sickle shape). Pizza (platter) onto rack (base).. slide out each side carefully, result: ring on base of bevel. ... yeah. LOL. like that. My Son is laughing at me. ;-0

Last edited:
That turned out to be easier than I thought.... 2 pieces of thin fishing line. about 8-10" loop an end around the o-Ring and press the rubber into the groove. Place patter onto set... gently. Align fishing line ends directly over& under each other. Tug straight back.. (pretty good tug too) and it'll snap on. you'll hear it. slide line out (just enough clearence) It's a Cool sound.. "snap" w/ instant 'winner winner' sound. ;-) Ohh only needed 1... the other was a back up.

Thanks for posting info and questions - even if the forum couldn't help, maybe you can help me :)

I have a HRT210 - not sure how far apart you took yours - my brake plate o-ring is leaking - do you know if I'll loose oil if I pop off just that plate? I don't really want to take this job down to install a new o-ring.

Thanks,
Jon

Back