What's new
What's new

servo amp melt down

astropaulo

Aluminum
Anyone have an amp explode? Heard a loud bang and the machine shut off.
On start up error 163 on the z axis. Pulled the drive and found this burned out section.
Is it possible something upstream caused this or is it just a drive failure and needs to be replaced?

Thanks

amp.jpgamp.jpg

Not an expert opinion, but to me it looks like the capacitors went. When they go they pop loudly and let the smoke out.

I'll bet if you unsolder those caps, (short them to discharge them first), if you have a good meter they will not register.

A good meter will take a few minutes to charge and discharge them.

Anyway, I'll bet if you replace the capacitors it will be up and running quickly.

I thought about cap replacement but there are some other blown components and some of the traces are separated from the board.

Looking at the Haas parts page it says the new amp has to be installed by a tech? I really need a tech to connect one plug and 5 wires?
Or is there some set upon the drive when they replace it?

The big caps look fine...

But...

8 pin dip with top blown off and the leadless component same indicate component overload.

Where the black spot odd looks like something WAS there that blew out like a rocket.

I suspect external short may have caused this or the missing part may have failed taking rest out.

If cause not known and is external to the board the likely hood of converting replacement to dame condition is high.

The tech should know how to check the machine before board insertion so there is more than plug and pray...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IMHO a lot of times when a situation like this occurs, the discrete component that vaporizes is not the cause of the failure. Yes it can be, but can take other things with it. Or it can fail

Unless you know these things a tech may be needed to check out all the external possible problems before power is put on a new board as it may do the same.
Yes, have servo amps go poof and bite the smoke test, don't we all? Sometimes in the amp and more often times outside.
Ah, that smell.
Bob

Looks like you blew almost all the same components. Steve, are you running off a Phase Perfect? When the amp blew did it pop your breaker also?

Checked the vector drive and that was good. Checked regen resistor, also good. DC voltage no higher than 362vdc.
Anything else to check?

looks like it jumped arc across the board and shorted out when you sharted yourself. lol
almost looks like something got into it and allowed it to conduct electricity like metal dust on it, and had a voltage spike and boom.

Hi, Sorry to dig up an old thread, My machine is an old 2006 TM2. I've just had the exact thing happen to me a few days ago. I turned it on - pushed the startup buttom - it all moved perfect and was waiting at the home position. I was in MDI when it started to make strange noises coming from the back cabinate then BANG. Screen showed 163 Z Axis drive fault. The red fault light on the servo amp was showing - so today I swopped the Z Amp for the X to see if this would move the error code move to the X axis but unfortunatley BANG again - its done exactly the same thing to the X amp. So i now have 2 x Amps to repair. I do have a damp problem in my workshop - do you think this could have caused the problem. It has not been crashed it was not moving when it happened. the second time i didnt even touch anything other than start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alan

Attachments

• IMG_1804a.jpg
    IMG_1804a.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1808s.jpg
    IMG_1808s.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 11
You should get the cables checked, and also the servo prior to loading the 3rd drive into that circuit. I doubt the damp caused this.

Last edited:
Not sure how your Haas is but on my Mits machines the drives power input are daisy chained so I would check incoming power first.

I had an X axis amp blow, replaced it. Then next day a Y axis go... very expensive week it was. Incoming power was fine in my case.

Last edited:
Not sure how your Haas is but on my Mits machines the drives power input are daisy chained so I would check incoming power first.

I had an X axis amp blow, replaced it. Then next day a Y axis go... very expensive week it was. Incoming power was fine in my case.
Yes the Haas are daisy chained as well.

See the new picture, I even had the main power leads disconnected to the Amps. So how they've blow I don't know. I have today tested the continuity of cable to the Z drive motor. When the cable is disconected at the servo end and the motor I can find two shorts to earth. The cable looks perfect no external damage or wear throughs etc. I guessing I've found the problem, I just can't prove it, I'll find an electrician to test it all again to confirm,

Attachments

• Power Supply s .jpg
    Power Supply s .jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 13
its possible that a short, which opens under overcurrent, causes enough of a voltage spike (due to the energy stored in the inductance) to overvolt that little 7 pin dip (which is almost certainly a simple flyback power supply to drive the board) and cause it to blow up. usually those things are rated at least 500 to 600 volts for use on a 240vac system. (nominally 320 to 360 volts dc)

a 7 pin dip blowing up won't be heard inside a cabinet, got to be some other failure.

Back