What's new
What's new

Setting 81 confusion

chiphook68

Plastic
I have a VF-1 dated 3-95 and a VF-0 dated 2-98. Both machines have umbrella toolchangers
This condition is common to both machines.
Setting 81 on both of these is named "TOOL AT POWERDOWN"

I want to inhibit tool change when the machine is turned on. Carousel index is ok, installing the tool is bad.

When setting 81 is zero(0), and POWER UP is pressed for the first time, the machine indexes the carousel to tool one, then installs tool one in the spindle.

If POWER UP is pressed a second time, (given ANY carousel position), the carousel will not index.

When setting 81 is one(1), any subsequent presses of POWER up will index and install tool one(1).

I have read about what setting 81 should do, and I do not see it following what I expect.

What am I missing? How do I prevent any tool being installed?

I am not sure the logic should allow a turret index without an actual toolchange. ( outside of tool changer recovery )

If you think about it, the machine does not know if there is a tool in the turret or not.
So, just to make sure that the pocket in the indexed position is empty, it MUST make a tool change after the indexing.
If there was a tool in the pocket, it is now empty. If there wasn't one, then it remains empty.

So, if someone manually inserts a tool into the spindle, it will not jam it on top of the one in the turret.

I am not sure the logic should allow a turret index without an actual toolchange. ( outside of tool changer recovery )

If you think about it, the machine does not know if there is a tool in the turret or not.
So, just to make sure that the pocket in the indexed position is empty, it MUST make a tool change after the indexing.
If there was a tool in the pocket, it is now empty. If there wasn't one, then it remains empty.

So, if someone manually inserts a tool into the spindle, it will not jam it on top of the one in the turret.

Thanks for your input.
As to the original question, how do I get to the machine tool NOT trying to load a tool on initial POWER UP button press?

Thanks for your input.
As to the original question, how do I get to the machine tool NOT trying to load a tool on initial POWER UP button press?

Did you even read the previous post?
It HAS TO MAKE A LOAD ATTEMPT!!! in order to make sure that there is no possible way to have a tool in both, spindle and the turret at the same time!

"Carousel index is ok, installing the tool is bad."
Just don't use tool/pocket #1 and it will change tools but not have one to insert.
What is the reason for this?

"Carousel index is ok, installing the tool is bad."
Just don't use tool/pocket #1 and it will change tools but not have one to insert.
What is the reason for this?

I am about to clamp a collar to the outside of the spindle nose, an accessory, which is not compatible with the tool changer.
In a perfect world, I could boot up the mill, attach the accessory, set up, run, tear down, then power down the mill. As I do not live in a perfect world, there is a strong likelihood that something will interfere with this process, and I will find myself doing this 2 or 3 times.
Supposing the milling machine does not execute a tool change, then there is zero danger of a collision, via any chain of logic.
All I have to do is figure out how to convince the control to not execute a tool change.
"all you have to do" is a popular expression in our shop.

That makes sense then, but I think your only choice is to disable the toolchanger completely as mentioned above.
Perhaps you can alter the toolchange macro as well, but you will need Haas's help with that.

There is a small clear relay in the back cabinet called "TC IN", simply remove it and you will get a red light if it trys to change tools, press reset and continue on. When you are done with the job you can shove the relay back in.

Back