What's new
What's new

Should I buy it??? 123 Spindle Drive Fault, 993 Amplifier Short Circuit.

Stirling

Hot Rolled
123 Spindle Drive Fault, 993 Amplifier Short Circuit.

I've come across a school selling a haas vf2. Tsc, 1000ipm rapid. 10,000 rpm spindle, smtc... lots of goodies and likely wicked cheap

But it's got a spindle drive fault and amp short.
Has anyone had these faults before and what caused them? Any other issues crop up after these codes got cleared?
For the right price I don't mind repairing the machine. But I don't Want to be throwing parts to find out another and another is bad. Or it simply blowing out a new drive too...

It just seems weird. It's a 2008 at a school with low hours. What causes these kinda faults?
Severe crash? Electrical storm?

Update: spoke to the fella operating it.
Machine would fault out. But after waiting a bit letting the electrical cabinet warm up, it would then function as normal and run perfectly.
The warm up time needed has gone from 20 min to 4 hours before the fault goes away. He suspects a bad solder joint or something of that nature.
No smoke or crashes.

Tips?

Keep in mind I am no HAAS tech, that being said I would suspect an AMP board problem (Really how did he reach that conclusion?.). From an electronics stand point kind makes sense. If they would be willing to let you do some diagnostics I would use the old freeze spray technique on the amplifier board. Second talk to HAAS tech and get as much info as possible such as test points etc. He may be able to say don't touch it.
If they are willing to let you or a HAAS chap have a quick look, see what you can see. If you do get the go ahead do not let on the guy with you is a HAAS tech. All comes down to $$$.
From the brief read I had about the problem is not uncommon and the causes vary from shorted mtr wires, dust, faulted amp.

I am not familiar with the "freeze spray" tequnique. Could you elaborate?

He said after its been on for a few hours the boards warm up and it would clear the error. So I was thinking of red neck testing it by tossing a space heater in the cabinet to warm them up and see if the spindle will run. Haha
Apperently it no longer clears on it's own.

for the right price i'd snag it up. worst, worst case scenario you have a machine with a lot of highly sought after parts hell guys are getting couple grand just for the processor boards alone.

i just had my vector drive rebuilt all the capacitors were worn out on them 123 alarm started coming on occasionally over time it happened more and more frequent definately not the issue you've got on your hands.

sounds like opportunity to me.

Stirling,
cooling can be explained as the following a discreet component maybe faulty. As you described it might be to a heat issue. Once the component heats it faults, you can spray it you can apply a spray that will bring it's temp down if it begins to work then you know the part is over heating and stops functioning, the part is bad.
It takes some trials but usually yields some clues if it is thermal issue you have your answerer. If your unclear check u tube on freeze/temp failure.

could be a bad battery, I had one Haas give out all kinds of drive codes ands amp codes and it was just the battery died ... or even if the vector drive is bad its only like $1200 to get one fixed ,,, The only thing cheaper to fix is a Fadal

I would jump at the machine if it fits your needs ,,

could be a bad battery, I had one Haas give out all kinds of drive codes ands amp codes and it was just the battery died ... or even if the vector drive is bad its only like $1200 to get one fixed ,,, The only thing cheaper to fix is a Fadal

I would jump at the machine if it fits your needs ,,

Ya I'm gonna toss a bid in (sealed bid auction)
It would be a pretty major step up from my tm1p!
Tsp and a 24 tool changer would be very welcome.

Back