What's new
What's new

SL-10 Alarm 103 X Servo Error Too Large...why and what to look for?

SIM

Titanium
I am usually one to suggest calling Haas 1st...but have a bit of time before they open and being Monday I expect a tight schedule to be fit in...

Anyway this started some time ago with this alarm at start up...wound up being a chip on prox switch. Cleaned it off and we were good.

Now its happened a few more times...pulled cover cleaned and I was running again...but last few times prox was clean.

This morning I alarmed out multiple times, clean switch...just hit reset and power up till I got it going....but I did notice the axis load is really off. It sits at 5-10% then move a few thou and it goes up and up...move back and it goes down.

I can also hear what sounds like an motor being jammed...I say this as it sound like when turret is jammed and you try to reset by moving into obstruction instead of away...a electrical squeal of sorts.

Do a warm up routine and motor sounds like a stepper drive on the X axis, then clears up and back to normal.

Any ideas as to what may be going on?

I was wondering if these motors had a break that may no be disengaging...or encoder screw up? If encoder do they even replace them or is it part of the motor for a complete swap...ooch...bad time to replace another motor....Ball screw?

Thanks.

At techs suggestion I was asked to swap Servo Amps and see if problem followed...Nope, problem didn't follow and didn't stay. Problem just disappeared. Machine is working like it should.

Hopefully a bad connection and will not see problem again...but leaning towards a weak amp. Till we get a few jobs out and some money in, I am happy to put off buying a new Amp at this point in time. Also feeling hopeful that is the worst it may be.

Some how I missed this thread the first time around.

I had a similar experience with a Vector drive. Didn't find a problem with the one giving me issues so I swapped it with another machine in the same facility and both have been working fine for several years now.

Hopefully you will get by with similar success.

Good luck!

I'll cross my fingers for that kind of long term success...right now I am happy if I can go a month or so.

Brown outs have been hammering me with issues...Or maybe its just the heat...whatever the case, being at the tail end of a project has the account low and we are pushing to get parts out, a machine down now is not a good thing.

Thanks

At techs suggestion I was asked to swap Servo Amps and see if problem followed...Nope, problem didn't follow and didn't stay. Problem just disappeared. Machine is working like it should.

Hopefully a bad connection and will not see problem again...but leaning towards a weak amp. Till we get a few jobs out and some money in, I am happy to put off buying a new Amp at this point in time. Also feeling hopeful that is the worst it may be.

Old thread but I just had 103 and 108 alarm on Z, won't move at all without alarming. I did the servo amp swap and that was the issue. In the past I did have the same alarm on Z but it was intermittent and that ended up being the encoder on the servo motor.

Strangely my Fryer lathe uses the same servo motors and I had a motor short due to coolant. I still had the old one from my haas. I took the encoder apart and VERY carefully cleaned the glass and sensor and it's been happy for the last 6 months. Saved me a boat load of money on a new motor.

Back