What's new
What's new

sl30 lathe oil grove

FrankieB

Aluminum
hello all, i am trying to figure out the math needed to get a feed rate for this oil groove. I will being using radial live tooling with an endmill. What i have come up with so far is 75mm/360=0.208mm per degree of rotation, but i am not sure if this what i am needing.

Thank You
Frankie

sSrBmX7.jpg

that should be pretty easy. I have done some crazy 4th axis stuff in the past. if I'm seeing this correctly its 1 1/2 turns over4.488 inches is that correct ? feed in your X axis to cut dia of groove. if so you can program it in inverse time G93 as A ( or C depending on what the controller will accept as you rotary axis / spindle)540. Z 4.488 ( you may have to add from your Zero to the Z to get the proper start position)should give you the path. then just select the feed rate. and make sure you add a dia to your settings if the newer controller allows for it. the old 1s did.

I may be over thinking this. I keep thinking the feed rate needs to be calculated like a threading or tapping cycle.

yes you are over thinking it. feedrate can be anything you want it to be if you simply give it a start and end point in both degrees and Z location.

the G93 makes the 2 axis move in a simultaneous movement. thus no need to treat it like a thread , and you can cut a feed rate that works best for your application. if you add the diameter to the setting. the machine will calculate the correct rpm to equate feed as you would have in a milling setup. I hope this makes sense.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this.

The way i take it is, if i put a feed rate in there with a start and end point in degrees, then the feed and the speed of the c drive will jive?

yes it will. for a more accurate feed rate there should be a setting for you to put in your shaft Diameter.

I will have to look on the diameter setting, not sure if i can use a g93 or not. This is an older machine.

Back