What's new
What's new

SMM2 - flip chip auger from right to left side?

jj80909

Aluminum
Does anyone here know if it's possible to flip the chip auger on a Mini Mill so that chips evacuate on the left side instead of the right (looking at the machine)? It looks like the mounting plate sizes and bolt-pattern are the same on both sides and the cable to the auger motor looks long enough. This is on a 2016 SMM2.

I'd like to re-arrange the shop and having the chips evacuate on the left side would free up some room. I also need to clean the sump, so it would be the ideal time to do it.

Thanks,
Jim

Well, I went ahead and did it. No problem other than it took forever to clean the mastic and foam sealing tape off the parts. It must be some 3M stuff...tough to get off.

Anyway, the cable for the auger motor is easy to route on the opposite side and everything fits fine. I did find Haas kinda skimped on the sealant for the front panels...coolant was leaking down the seams on the sides, traveling down underneath and it pooled around the machine's front two feet. I cleaned the seams and put a bead of sealant along the full length on both sides.

A heat gun or hair dryer will make it much easier to remove the tape, get it hot and peel it slowly, lighter fluid also works

Back