What's new
What's new

Software for cutting Difficult threads and Cable Grooves

mcmanjam

Plastic
I have created a software that posts g-code for essentially stitching any kind of thread or cable groove. The code works by roughing the thread or groove using a radius grooving tool and stepping in or out on the diameter, depending on if its an external or internal thread or groove, and changing the thread starting point to work its way across the thread at each diameter step. Then another radius tool or square corner grooving tool can be used to finish the thread a similar way. This is great for large cable grooves or threads where chatter is often an issue because a small tool can be used to take light cuts to produce the thread. This greatly reduces tool pressure while producing great look cable grooves and threads.

The parameters of the thread can be input like the front and back angles, major and minor diameters, and pitch. For standard thread styles like ACME threads, the angles are set automatically, but odd threads like buttress threads and others can have their characteristics entered manually. Also, the radial depth of cut, spindle speed, insert characteristics, roughing radial depth of cut, roughing z step over, and finishing z step over can be entered.

I've used it on cable drums that required up to a 1.25" radius helical groove, deep Acme threads that have a large pitch, and oddball buttress style french artillery threads that were deep and had a 45 degree angle on the front of the thread and 3 degree angle on the back of the thread.

I have attached an example of a helical groove that was made on a vertical lathe with this software.

I'm thinking of selling this software and I'm wondering if there would be a demand for it and what other features customers would like to see?

Attachments

• D2BD9EC0-CAF6-4828-BE84-1F27F9EDA57B.jpg
    D2BD9EC0-CAF6-4828-BE84-1F27F9EDA57B.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 70
Okay great. How do you do what I'm talking about with standard thread cycles or CAM software? G76 won't do it and neither will GibssCAM. I don't have mastercam or fusion 360. How does a standard thread cycle compensate for a radiused insert?

I'm talking about using a small insert to reduce tool pressure and going in a specified amount on the diameter, say .01", and then moving across the thread in z steps, then going in another .01" on the diameter and moving across the thread in Z steps, continuing this process until I reach the minor diameter.

If the software is already out there to do this, great. Please let me know because it would save me lots of time.

Back