Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Something is isnít right or is this normal

I placed my tenths indicator on the table and have stylus touching the spindle cartridge face and Iím moving the z up and down in .0001 increments and watching to see if the needle moves after Iíve moved it and itís sitting idle and it does. One time time it move down about two tenths or .0002.

Thatís not what Iím even here asking about. I leaned into the machine so I was naturally putting a little weight on the sheet metal but for sure not standing on the fucker and the needle on my indicator move 3 tenths.
    Im asking myself now how much it moves when there are a lot of chips and coolant is backed up?

Please guys Iím not bashing haas, I love the machine and I like what haas is doing so please donít take it as that and if I was I sure as hell wouldnít come here lol.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's normal and has nothing to do with Haas. They shouldn't sell people tenths indicators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As for clicking the pulse dial one tenth and back.
    Donít bother. Move it a reasonable amount and return it. Preferably as a program. Thereís always play. As long as the machine repeats your good.

As for weight of chips. Thatís an interesting question/consideration
    If your working on 10ths I guess donít let it pile up like crazy. But thermals will be more of an issue anyways. Even cutter pressure on the overall system is having a distortion effect. Donít get to worked up unless your spec absolutely requires it and you can actually measure that in your temperature controlled qc room.

1949 - I agree, often we can measure ourselves into a dizzy with tools so accurate. All with a grain of salt some days

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

is this a UMC?

if so, try this test again, and open the door gently but with enough force to bump the stops. watch the indicator while you do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling View Post

1949 - I agree, often we can measure ourselves into a dizzy with tools so accurate. All with a grain of salt some days
    Ooooooh, a grain of salt, that's about .015". Lol

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    It's normal and has nothing to do with Haas. They shouldn't sell people tenths indicators.
    Robin Renzetti has a "series" on "everything is rubber", I'm a strong believer in that, but this latest one amazed me: Robin Renzetti (@robinrenzetti) ē Instagram (sorry, don't know how to embed the video directly here)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

really wanna drive yourself nuts...put the indicator onthe back jaw of your vice and clamp the part and watch it move.

As to touching the cabinet...make sure all the supports are down and machine is level with all feet having pressure.