What's new
What's new

Something is isn’t right or is this normal

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
I placed my tenths indicator on the table and have stylus touching the spindle cartridge face and I’m moving the z up and down in .0001 increments and watching to see if the needle moves after I’ve moved it and it’s sitting idle and it does. One time time it move down about two tenths or .0002.

That’s not what I’m even here asking about. I leaned into the machine so I was naturally putting a little weight on the sheet metal but for sure not standing on the fucker and the needle on my indicator move 3 tenths.
Im asking myself now how much it moves when there are a lot of chips and coolant is backed up?

Please guys I’m not bashing haas, I love the machine and I like what haas is doing so please don’t take it as that and if I was I sure as hell wouldn’t come here lol.

As for clicking the pulse dial one tenth and back.
Don’t bother. Move it a reasonable amount and return it. Preferably as a program. There’s always play. As long as the machine repeats your good.

As for weight of chips. That’s an interesting question/consideration
If your working on 10ths I guess don’t let it pile up like crazy. But thermals will be more of an issue anyways. Even cutter pressure on the overall system is having a distortion effect. Don’t get to worked up unless your spec absolutely requires it and you can actually measure that in your temperature controlled qc room.

1949 - I agree, often we can measure ourselves into a dizzy with tools so accurate. All with a grain of salt some days

is this a UMC?

if so, try this test again, and open the door gently but with enough force to bump the stops. watch the indicator while you do that.

really wanna drive yourself nuts...put the indicator onthe back jaw of your vice and clamp the part and watch it move.

As to touching the cabinet...make sure all the supports are down and machine is level with all feet having pressure.

Back