What's new
What's new

Speed up tool changes on a Haas 20 tool carousel?

jj80909

Aluminum
We have a 1998 VF3 with a 20 tool carousel that needs some attention and a new turret motor.

It looks like the later model Haas carousel design uses a two-pin drive motor and updated geneva disk.

I was wondering why they changed this, if the newer machines can spin the turret faster for quicker tool changes, and if we can / should replace the current motor / geneva disk with the later design.

Does anyone here have some insight into this?

yes because haas 32 tool changer was slow. they updated the motor and star plate to be twice as fast as the previous design. they also used it on the 20 pocket. but was originally designed for the 32 pocket machines.

Also, if your motor has gotten dirty and full of crap, it will slow down a lot. I took mine off and cleaned it really well and it was twice as fast.

I did this to my 96 vf2, it has been a very good update. Also be sure to change your params to match the faster speed.

I might be off base...but to sink that much coin into a 98 machine to gain a few extra seconds on Haas cycle time...it might be time to look into a new machine. OR an SS machine...those are fast.
I was leaning heavily towards a used VF2-SS...Damn fast tool changes! But I stepping back and realized I did not need the extra speed...although impressively fast. An ST-10 and Mini-mill fit the bill much better to expedite our work.

I did this to my 96 vf2, it has been a very good update. Also be sure to change your params to match the faster speed.

friesen,

Do you remember what parameters you changed? It looks like most all of the timing parameters have to deal with the side-mounted tool changer.

I changed one that has to do with max delay between positions. It's twice as fast, so with the old setting it won't error out like it should if there is a problem. It might be the turret ones, I can't remember for sure.

Back