What's new
What's new

Spindle Utilization Time

thesidetalker

Stainless
I have a couple jobs running where I want to see the actual spindle time, not just a guess of how long it takes my guys to unload & load. I can time myself running the parts, but the actual time it takes the operator to do it can vary when they are running more than one machine, deburring parts, cleaning, etc.

The power-on and cycle-start timers on current commands page can be used to calculate this easily. Simply divide cycle-start time by power on time.

I added a simple calculation in my toolchange macros. Every toolchange the time is updated.

#520= 100. * #3021 / #3020

It should be fairly close. Cycle-start timer runs when your program is started. It pauses at M0/M1 & feed hold, while the power-on timer runs continuously no matter what.

We run the spindle warmup every day. At the end I have it reset both timers so each day has a fresh count.
#3020= 0
#3021= 0

Only catch is probe cycles are counted as cycle time too. I tried a macro to remove this time, subtracting the present part timer (#3023) from cycletime (#3021) and resetting it to 0. But that isn't allowed on the NGC. Only works on classic control. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it is a pretty small % of time, running spindle probe for setup and measuring tool lengths.

It should be interesting to see how some machines or programs to over time. Of course I added a few more macro statements to track over a month and last month, etc. We are a job shop, part complexity and quantity varies significantly. I have some machines running 1000pc orders, some running onesie-twosie jobs currently.

Back