What's new
What's new

Spindle speed differences

Ot1

Plastic
The Vf2 comes standard with a 8100 rpm spindle, the VF2-SS comes with a 12000 rpm spindle. Other than time to finish a part differences, what about quality or materials capability where the 12000 speed is a must have.

If you run plastics, aluminum or small tools. Less maintenance than a geared head.

Are you going to ask us to ignore the improved rapids on the SS next too?

If you run plastics, aluminum or small tools. Less maintenance than a geared head.

Are you going to ask us to ignore the improved rapids on the SS next too?

According to the specs neither spindle is GEARED. Would be doing mostly aluminum though.

Consult your local haas factory outlet.

I would be worried looking at buying a machine not knowing the answer to this question tho...

It'll be about 50% faster in applications with near unlimited sfm (aluminum, etc) and with smaller diameter tools in all materials. In this day and age I don't see why one would buy a machine with a spindle slower than 10k, you miss out on a whole lot of productivity. If you have a 1hr long surfacing operation at 8000rpm, you'll get that done in 40mins at 12000rpm. 30% time savings, all the time.

Now if you're hogging tough materials with large cutters at low rpm, you may never need 12k....but if thats the case HAAS is probably the wrong machine for you anyway.

I have a 12k spindle on my VM3. Coming from a 7500rpm spindle on and older vf3, it is a night and day difference. Probably bought me a day or more in the past week in reduced cycle times along (aluminum, doing roughing with a 1/2" endmill and finishing with 3d surfacing).

Even if I run some steel, I'll still be on the upper end of that with smaller tools and hsm strategies

It'll be about 50% faster in applications with near unlimited sfm (aluminum, etc) and with smaller diameter tools in all materials. In this day and age I don't see why one would buy a machine with a spindle slower than 10k, you miss out on a whole lot of productivity. If you have a 1hr long surfacing operation at 8000rpm, you'll get that done in 40mins at 12000rpm. 30% time savings, all the time.

Now if you're hogging tough materials with large cutters at low rpm, you may never need 12k....but if thats the case HAAS is probably the wrong machine for you anyway.

I have a 12k spindle on my VM3. Coming from a 7500rpm spindle on and older vf3, it is a night and day difference. Probably bought me a day or more in the past week in reduced cycle times along (aluminum, doing roughing with a 1/2" endmill and finishing with 3d surfacing).

Even if I run some steel, I'll still be on the upper end of that with smaller tools and hsm strategies

Thank you, I feel you reply is informative and unbiased and will set my sights on an SS.

Back