Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas will sguash this lawsuit if it ever happens like a fly. There's probably some dipshit lawyer out there who might take this on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    Haas has a "system" (to fleece customers?) where the memory battery can't be replaced with the machine running, requires a service-call and soldering, and loses parameters?? that is pretty bad if so. Even a $200 PC cmos battery is socketted and can be replaced with the machine running. Those are the sorts of things to consider when researching a purchase. The old heidehein controller has 3 AA batteries (which last forever relative to coin-battery(s), even in an older controller) in a convenient *externally* accessible holder.
    On this forum, I've seen dozens of threads (not posts) about Fanuc controls losing parameters. Funny how no one is screaming about that...... Or the dead batteries, etc. Is that situation "pretty bad" too?
    I've had pretty good tech support on the phone from the local HFO. Haas does have a replacement backup battery kit for $125 or so, for at least most of their machines. I've not heard of the same for Fanuc, but maybe it's out there......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    On this forum, I've seen dozens of threads (not posts) about Fanuc controls losing parameters. Funny how no one is screaming about that...... Or the dead batteries, etc. Is that situation "pretty bad" too?
    I've had pretty good tech support on the phone from the local HFO. Haas does have a replacement backup battery kit for $125 or so, for at least most of their machines. I've not heard of the same for Fanuc, but maybe it's out there......
    I didn't intend to appear to be singling out Haas at all, just sort of incredulous that a service-call is required to replace (any manufacturer's) required memory battery, and that they are not readily replaceable; a serviceable backup battery option sounds completely reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    .. just sort of incredulous that a service-call is required to replace (any manufacturer's) required memory battery, and that they are not readily replaceable;...

This, I strongly agree with.
    I might buy the argument from Haas that the board is an off-the-shelf component that they've integrated into their machine, but there is absolutrely
    no acceptable reason they couldn't just install a pigtail connector to a battery casing for easy replacement.

That is exactly how the Brother EDM batteries are connected, 2 wires to a battery case mounted into the cabinet door.

As far as Fanuc goes ...
    In the year of 2007 not having a battery management and monitoring circuit in the servo control is equally incredulous.
    Specially when the f'in battery doesn't just maintain a puny CMOS ram chip, but also powers some form of location detection device 24/7/365 !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought this was about Avocados.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A battery recently went out and we lost everything in the controller. It was the kind you had to solder the battery on. Our local guy soldered on a battery socket so we never have to pay him to come out again. After that we did a full restore. I got the unlock codes for our options over the phone from a rep a couple of days later. I was upset that the guy didn't do the unlock while he was out but they gave us all the codes over the phone. No hassle. Just punch and go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lilb93 View Post
    When the battery dies and you loose your serial number...
    So you're going to sue HAAS because YOU neglected to change your battery?

You'll make more money by selling whatever you're smoking.

- Leigh

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Metrologik View Post
    A battery recently went out and we lost everything in the controller. It was the kind you had to solder the battery on. Our local guy soldered on a battery socket so we never have to pay him to come out again. After that we did a full restore. I got the unlock codes for our options over the phone from a rep a couple of days later. I was upset that the guy didn't do the unlock while he was out but they gave us all the codes over the phone. No hassle. Just punch and go.
    Do you mind sharing thew process to reinitialize your machine. We had a battery go out on our MiniMill just a day or two after I first saw the alarm for low battery voltage. I thought I had more time to change it... I think I can probably find the unlock code, but it'll take a little digging but I imagine it's around somewhere. The HFO seems to think it requires a technician out here, is that true? Ay direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sure like mylar tape. It never loses its charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lithium battery's can drop out super fast ,,, if your lucky you get a low battery code and if you do don`t turn the machine off tell you have a backup disk and the new battery has been put in ... I have found out the hard way that some battery's last for years and some don`t .. I change out all the battery's in shop first of EVERY year. Might seem nuts but its cheap and fast to do ...

I lost the Battery in a 3 year old mill and spent 2 days trying to fix it my self and ended up calling in the HFO and $400 bucks later it was up and running ,,, If it ever was to happen again I would not waste the 2 days and just call them to start with.

12. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lilb93 View Post
    When the battery dies and you loose your serial number for your HAAS machine the want you call there service dept and of course charge you. You have already apid for the machine and paid for the use of there software. If the CMOS battery dies does Microsoft tell you to call there dealer to turn it back on? I think not.

Please call John Grutza Interstate machine. 570-875-8407 if you have interest in being party to this Classs action Suit. Thank You
    I'm so mad at HAAS it ain't funny. And, I would be first in line.............for a legit reason/effort.
    But, you are an idiot. Not sure how you figure your situation to be anybodies fault but your own?

14. Likes [email protected], machineit2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made the mistake and didn’t back up the parameters on our machine at work!
    The battery died and obviously it lost everything!

After calling my HFO, I ordered the replacement battery kit....

Once I installed the kit with the technicians guidance over the phone, we went through and were able to put all the parameters back in and have all the options turned back on! It took probably a couple hours on the phone! I could have had a tech come out but it was going to be a few days and we needed the machine for a hot job!

I cannot fault Haas for my oversight!

I learned a valuable lesson, MAKE SURE YOU BACK EVERYTHING Up!!!!

I love the support we get from Haas, one of the biggest reasons for buying their machines!

We had a Centroid control on one of our mills, the tech support was non existent, that mill is now gone because of it!

Maybe the OP should buy a Centroid controlled machine!

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First of all, I’m not an expert on this stuff but here is what I have learned over the last few years.

First and foremost, take a low battery alarm seriously. Tell people that run the machines to let some one know if they ever notice a low battery alarm. Not ‘ohhh it’s been like that for 3 months...’

Just to clarify for some one new doing a search on a dead battery replacement. Not all Haas controls are the same. Different generations of Haas controls have different battery configurations and replacement procedures.

Here is a video from Haas that discuss the process for NEWER type controls with a USB.

Main Processor Battery Replacement

Some controls have hard wired batteries and some do not. Some controls with hard wired batteries can be retrofitted with a kit from Haas that allows for a dual replacement battery setup discussed in the video above. I believe the two back up batteries from the retrofit kit are wired in parallel so you can pull one and the other retains the power. This kit DOES NOT work with all controls, only some if you have the connector on the board to plug it into. Some newer machines come with dual batteries already socketed onto the main board and do not need the kit. I have a cold fire II board with the dual socketed batteries that did not need this kit. The NextGen boards come with it as well. If your getting a low battery alarm do not turn off the machine. Figure out how to back the machine up and replace the batteries before turning it off. The software backup procedure is different for different versions of software and generations of controls. Generally speaking, the older the machine the harder it is to properly backup. The HFO will always need to call Haas for the option unlock codes and to re-commission the machine if the data is lost or corrupt. If you have an older control board without the connector for the optional battery backup kit, it is possible to solder a battery backup onto the board without loosing the data. YouTube and google is your resource. This is NOT generally something the HFO would do and is not supported by Haas whatsoever. It is possible to do this live with the 3 stacks of boards but it risky. If you have an older machine with good batteries it’s better to start doing your home work now than before your under the gun with a low battery alarm or a completely dead battery. Have fun, be careful and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes BGL liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas' backup replacement kit indeed doesn't work on the older motorolla-processor machines, but you can pretty easily make your own relocation socket using the backup plug which every machine has in some regard. Or you can just plug a backup battery into the board permanently and replace it when the machine is powered.

Many manufacturers use a similar backup system using plug-in batteries that require turning the machine off and pulling boards. You don't need a tech for it, unless something goes wrong. Since nobody has mentioned it, sometimes it's much worse...like with that one weird ass Fanuc board that has no plug-in battery backup and instead uses a capacitive circuit that gives you 10 minutes to replace the battery before it looses everything. Trust a lot to that capacitor!

Anyway, NGC machines come with a CR2032 battery just like motherboards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All well and good...but its also a 3 year old post.

20. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep..I just "liked" some three year old posts..

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it boggles my mind why manufacturers still use volatile memory to store that sort of info, which, when lost, causes all sorts of grief, even if they absolutely HAD to have that info stored in volatile memory, it costs probably 0,1$ to add a tiny non-volatile chip that would contain backup of those said parameters and few lines of code in the control software itself to back stuff up without even asking the user to remember to do it, heck, have it auto back up one version every time user changes something, and have a hard backup from when the machine was set up first time, that 0,1$ chip would probably have enough memory to even store the user macros and programs and whatnot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the design intent includes making memory failure a profit center - selling tech service time. Otherwise it's crazy how vulnerable this area is.

Good thing Haas doesn't design and build airplanes, better done by a reputable company like Boeing.

Uh, never mind...

24. Likes machineit2 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The real Leigh View Post
    So you're going to sue HAAS because YOU neglected to change your battery?

You'll make more money by selling whatever you're smoking.

- Leigh
    You are funny, this has to be a scam, I presume if you call the number they will insert you into the lawsuit for only $150 USD