UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    This, I strongly agree with.
    I might buy the argument from Haas that the board is an off-the-shelf component that they've integrated into their machine, but there is absolutrely
    no acceptable reason they couldn't just install a pigtail connector to a battery casing for easy replacement.

That is exactly how the Brother EDM batteries are connected, 2 wires to a battery case mounted into the cabinet door.

As far as Fanuc goes ...
    In the year of 2007 not having a battery management and monitoring circuit in the servo control is equally incredulous.
    Specially when the f'in battery doesn't just maintain a puny CMOS ram chip, but also powers some form of location detection device 24/7/365 !
    Haas dual battery solution plugs the pigtail into a socket on the motherboard and you snip out the old battery

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    it boggles my mind why manufacturers still use volatile memory to store that sort of info, which, when lost, causes all sorts of grief, even if they absolutely HAD to have that info stored in volatile memory, it costs probably 0,1$ to add a tiny non-volatile chip that would contain backup of those said parameters and few lines of code in the control software itself to back stuff up without even asking the user to remember to do it, heck, have it auto back up one version every time user changes something, and have a hard backup from when the machine was set up first time, that 0,1$ chip would probably have enough memory to even store the user macros and programs and whatnot...

Depends on how much memory is being backed up by battery, and if this memory is used realtime, as in read from and written to many times a second as program memory would be, not just parameter memory. non volatile memory does have disadvantages as in limited number of write cycles and its slower too. You cannot assume non volatile is the solution. Batteries are inexpensive and the Haas dual battery solution is cheap and easy to install by even incompetent people.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not suggesting non-volatile to replace ram completely, but to store the "fixed" parameters there, load them in ram on boot, how many times is there a need to make changes to those stored parameters during life cycle of the machine compared to at least few thousand r/w cycles of even the cheapest flash chip

that flash chip would cost less than the first set of batteries placed there at the factory... and basically zero grief for users later on

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    I'm not suggesting non-volatile to replace ram completely, but to store the "fixed" parameters there, load them in ram on boot, how many times is there a need to make changes to those stored parameters during life cycle of the machine compared to at least few thousand r/w cycles of even the cheapest flash chip

that flash chip would cost less than the first set of batteries placed there at the factory... and basically zero grief for users later on
    When I replied to your first post, you were suggesting to put macros and programs in NVR but this would exceed the NVRs capability/useage. Other parameters such as tool offsets would also need to go in main Memory, along with macros and programs and this needs to be backed up with battery. So the only parameters remaining would be optional features I suppose that could go in NVR, but maybe for security reasons designers would feel that chip could be compromised, so why not just hide the features somewhere in ram since its already being backed up with battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think a law suit is silly, but I think $400 to give a number to keep you running is obscene. I don't like companies that do things like that, bend you over as soon as they get the chance, it leaves a very negative impression. If it was my business I'd give you the number, costs me nothing, but keeps you happy and builds goodwill so you call us when you need the next machine. We do that all time, give a little bit of free telephone support. I would not squander the goodwill with a customer for a measly $400.