The state of haas support these days (pitiful) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Seriously, there seems to be a critical shortage of good repairmen, is the pay too low? [I'm guessing "yes"]
    You are correct. Here is what I gather (correct me if I am wrong).
    The entry level pay is too low for anybody to stick with it long enough to become seasoned.
    So, when (Ellison in this case) gets somebody to stick around long enough that they can work on a machine without killing themselves?
    They park them in a van by themselves, ready or not, here you go!
    Simply because they are overwhelmed with work. And, that is one more guy in the field.
    There is only one way to gain experience. Time. I blame the education money machine mostly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever we have a tech come out to give our mits wire a pm there's always something(s) that need to be adjusted or fixed....this last visit the upper head was replaced, he left the metal piece off for the magnetic indicator and also left the connector for the wire cutter air supply loose so it wouldn't work. It's currently having a threading issue that we didn't have before and I have no solution to as it would require taking the lower head off. The most annoying thing is not having a wire thread as it should when you need it to lol. 3 service calls, 3 different techs.

I have 4 parts running overnight, the only reason I'm running them on the wire and not cutting them on my Bridgeport is because I can start them right before leave and when I get in I can knock them out, file off the tab and put the holes I need in them and install them on the mold first thing in the morning. I hope that's the case cause I'm gonna be pissed if they aren't done.

Our haas has been handled quickly and efficiently whenever we have had an issue, which have been few...so it's not just haas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I need to eat some crow here!
    I called the parts chick. She sent the email yesterday morning. It was in my spam box.
    Pump is in stock @ Tempe HFO. No shipping, I can take and leave my core.
    Still more than double the price of last time I bought one. But, whatever.
    I would have been up and running next morning had I checked my spam folder.

4. Likes Oldwrench, machineit2 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree HAAS is making some very good margins on their parts. They wanted $6,500 for an X-Axis motor recently. That being said....I still have my 1993 VF1 cutting parts everyday and our HFO is down the street from me with a decent selection of parts on hand so I'm pretty happy.

Sorry for the tangent:

I have a question wiring a grundfors pump to a haas. I bought this pump used from someone here on pm a while back.

It came with the black/brown/white wires taped together and the blue, orange, red wires taped together + a yellow wire on its own.

As a test off the machine I gave the two bundles of wires 220v and the pump started.

I measured 220v from the haas feeding the haas pump.

So I figured 220v from the HAAS should turn it on. But it doesn't.

If my memory serves me right...when the grundfors pump is plugged into the haas (two bundles + the ground) and I turn on the coolant there is no voltage reading to the pump at all and it doesn't turn on. At that point I knew I didn't know what the f I was doing and gave up.

Does someone know how this should be wired?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2235.jpg   img_2236.jpg   img_2237.jpg   img_2238.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

first pull the cover and see if the cap is a 110V or a 220V … I think they use defend caps all depending on what voltage your wiring it up for … I well say that that type of pump works great but they put out a lot of pressure and you have to keep the coolant "CLEAN" going into them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Wheelie

This is kinda interesting that you and I managed to post a coolant pump related thread independently, all within one minute from each other. -> "Lazy" coolant

Nonetheless, do you know the GPM rating on that pump?
    That is almost exactly what I have on my older machines, but fuck-me if I'm willing to pay anything like $2700 for two, let alone for one.
    I saw that! LOL

No clue on the GPM of the pump? But, I am walking out the door in 5 to run to Ellison and grab the new one.

Never experienced lazy coolant either. But, my newest machines are '07's. And the newest haas I have ever ran was a '10.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    first pull the cover and see if the cap is a 110V or a 220V … I think they use defend caps all depending on what voltage your wiring it up for … I well say that that type of pump works great but they put out a lot of pressure and you have to keep the coolant "CLEAN" going into them...
    I had it running fine from a 220 wall circuit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only coolant pump problems I have had on the Haas machines is the switch inside the motor, file the bump off and it never happens again. The bump makes the points stick in the start position and the capacitor doesn't like that.

10. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    The only coolant pump problems I have had on the Haas machines is the switch inside the motor, file the bump off and it never happens again. The bump makes the points stick in the start position and the capacitor doesn't like that.
    Yep, that is exactly what the repair place it took the pump to yesterday told me.
    He didn't want to work on it. Said it was too small of a job to take on right now because they are slammed.
    Told me what to check (exactly what you said). I tore in to it, and found the base of the switch broken. That explains everything!
    And, I learned something new! (how single phase motors use a switch to have one cap handle start/run).

12. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider it a day lost if you didn't learn something

The switch is available on ebay for about 30 bucks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last week it cost us $1600 for a tech to come up from HFO in Denver to check the drawbar in an older VF4. It was hesitating on release, and generally the actuation didn't seem very positive. Assuming a bunch of broken Bellevilles I expected we'd have to change out the drawbar assembly. He showed the operators it was a leaking air switch with a clogged muffler, which we could cheaply replace from Grainger. Said it would be OK to run as-is and not dangerous.

We paid the whole travel time to and from (about 8 hours) because there was no other work for him in town to split it with. May have cost $1600 but in my opinion worth every penny. I suspect we won't be getting any discounts for awhile because we have been repairing our 4-head 5C rotaries in house, and that doesn't support Gene's F1 bottomless pit. I swear, I wouldn't buy a CAT40 toolholder with that "Haas F1 Team" marking on it if it cost twenty bucks.

15. Likes BGL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't complain too much about our Haas service. We used to be serviced by HFO Ohio but a couple years ago they switched us to HFO Chicago. Never had to wait more than 3 - 4 days for any kind of necessary service and the techs have always been competent and willing to show us what to do to take care of certain problems. We average about 1 visit a year for our TM1 and TL1 and it ususally costs about $1200 each time. We just figure it's part of the cost of doing business.

17. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy direct from haas? haascnc.com in the parts section. $895

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Buy direct from haas? haascnc.com in the parts section. $895
    Try $1400:
    PUMP, COOLANT 3/4 HP 1-PH, TWIST LOCK CONNECTOR | Pump | Standard Coolant | Coolant Systems | Find Replacement Parts | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

The price is bad enough! I didn't want to pay the core charge, or two way shipping.
    Nor did I have time to wait around who knows how long for it to show up. So, I probably would have had to tack another $400+ on for red-label.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never had a core charge on my pumps that went...

I can understand why they do the core charge as I took my crapped out pumps to our local motor guy to fix...$80 bucks to fix, now I have a spare 1/3, 3/4 and 1hp pump.