What's new
What's new

Stupid question about using the %$&!! WIPS probe

Volitan

Hot Rolled
Going by the sparse instructions it came with, as well as instructions I found here: How to Calibrate WIPS - Dozuki

I managed to calibrate the thing and use it and it worked fine, next time I go to use it the tool heights were off by like 5 inches or so.
Theres a long-ish run job on the machine now so I can't try again but it's bugging the crap out of me.

The only thing I can think of is maybe after you calibrate it you have to use the same pocket every time you use the work probe? Is that right?
I ASSumed it stored the probe length in a parameter but could it actually use a tool height value instead??

Thanks

Sounds reasonable. I calibrated mine in pocket 25 and always used 25 for probing and have never had that problem.

Going by the sparse instructions it came with, as well as instructions I found here: How to Calibrate WIPS - Dozuki

I managed to calibrate the thing and use it and it worked fine, next time I go to use it the tool heights were off by like 5 inches or so.
Theres a long-ish run job on the machine now so I can't try again but it's bugging the crap out of me.

The only thing I can think of is maybe after you calibrate it you have to use the same pocket every time you use the work probe? Is that right?
I ASSumed it stored the probe length in a parameter but could it actually use a tool height value instead??

Thanks

Yes, keep it in the same position (tool pocket/number) and you should be fine. Not sure where to look, but one Haas tech told me the macro stores the pocket info somewhere. You could probably alter this if you needed to, although I have not tried that as I was taught to leave the probe in the machine...

It's very easy to accidentally delete the work probe's tool offset since it'll get wiped out if you clear the entire column or the whole offset list. You may want to write the probe's offset length somewhere on the machine, but be prepared for the value to change if you break the tip or if you move the tool presetter.

I thought I had solved that problem by writing a macro program that deletes unused offsets while leaving the value in T25 alone. But then I found out it only works if literally everybody is familiar with running that program. So you still need a quick way to get the number back in its register. Of course it doesn't take long to probe the offset again so that's always available..

We do a similar thing. We cleared all the tool offset except the probe and cleared all the work offsets
and saved it as a file called "zero". At each new setup we just load the file "zero" to zero out everything.

I was wondering where most people keep there probe? In the first pocket or the last? I keep it in pocket 1 and then tell the machine to load pocket 20 on powerup/restart. (Configured in the setup menu). That way when I am done for the day I hit the powerup/ restart and it loads an empty tool before shutting down. Better than a hot spindle cooling off with a tool in the taper and then popping in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good to leave the spindle empty overnight. It's usually not a problem under normal conditions, but we've had weird situations where humidity will drastically change overnight and it makes stuff in the shop get rusty almost immediately...tools could get stuck in there under that scenario. It's probably not a huge concern for most people depending on environment, but it can't hurt.

Anyway, I think the spindle probe number is mostly preference. Most people use either the first or last tool number, but ultimately the same result.

Back