What's new
What's new

Super Mini Mill 2 *with* Side Mount Tool Changer - Shipping/Entry height?

miks

Aluminum
Hi all. Been lurking a while, first post. I'm upgrading from a smaller manual mill and am looking at a 2010 SMM2 with an apparently somewhat rare side-mount tool changer. The entry to my shop is 95" without cutting into door frames, etc. I'm wondering if anyone on here with a similar machine could confirm the lowest (i.e. shippable) height of this model machine. I've looked at the documentation on the Haas website but that's all for the SMM2 with umbrella tool changer. Looking at pics of the umbrella vs SMTC it looks like the SMTC definitely adds some height, but I'm not sure how much. If the machine ship height is higher than 95" the next question would be - are there components that can be removed (relatively easily) and then re-installed after it's in the shop? I've pinged Haas directly about the ship height but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm looking at a machine in another state and have asked the seller to confirm the height, but I thought I'd ping this group to see if I could get any confirmation and/or experiences people have had (i.e. if you had to remove anything and, if so, if that was a big deal or relatively doable) with getting this machine into their shop. Thanks for any input.

Hi all. Been lurking a while, first post. I'm upgrading from a smaller manual mill and am looking at a 2010 SMM2 with an apparently somewhat rare side-mount tool changer. The entry to my shop is 95" without cutting into door frames, etc. I'm wondering if anyone on here with a similar machine could confirm the lowest (i.e. shippable) height of this model machine. I've looked at the documentation on the Haas website but that's all for the SMM2 with umbrella tool changer. Looking at pics of the umbrella vs SMTC it looks like the SMTC definitely adds some height, but I'm not sure how much. If the machine ship height is higher than 95" the next question would be - are there components that can be removed (relatively easily) and then re-installed after it's in the shop? I've pinged Haas directly about the ship height but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm looking at a machine in another state and have asked the seller to confirm the height, but I thought I'd ping this group to see if I could get any confirmation and/or experiences people have had (i.e. if you had to remove anything and, if so, if that was a big deal or relatively doable) with getting this machine into their shop. Thanks for any input.

Hi, did you ever get a response to this question? I have the same situation except my garage door is 83" tall. Can the tool changer be taken off without a crane? I need to make this thing as short as possible.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Funny you should ask. Two days ago I was at the drayage company and got an accurate height. Upon sale I had a tech remove the top sheet metal enclosure that goes over the tool changer motor (just a few screws). So, the tool changer is still in place. The total height with that off is ~94" (91" machine + 3" off the ground). However, there are only four bolts holding the tool changer motor on. I will need to remove those and then the motor should just come off. With that motor removed I'm getting a total height of 91.6" (this was with a laser level). Again though, that height was gotten with the machine up on some boards - the frame of the machine was about 3" off the ground. So, with the leveling pads removed, sitting on the ground, and with the housing and motor removed, I think you're looking at a net max height of 91.6 - 3 = 88.6". But, remember you'll need *something* to get under the mill (forklift, jack, etc.) to roll it in. The drayage guy said he could probably get away with just needing about 2" for his forkllift arms. My minimum entry point is 91.5" so I think we'll be able to get the machine on a forklift and rolling at just about 90.6 inches, or less that 1" clearance.
FWIW I asked the local HFO and they couldnt dig any min. ship height up on this somewhat non-standard machine.

Funny you should ask. Two days ago I was at the drayage company and got an accurate height. Upon sale I had a tech remove the top sheet metal enclosure that goes over the tool changer motor (just a few screws). So, the tool changer is still in place. The total height with that off is ~94" (91" machine + 3" off the ground). However, there are only four bolts holding the tool changer motor on. I will need to remove those and then the motor should just come off. With that motor removed I'm getting a total height of 91.6" (this was with a laser level). Again though, that height was gotten with the machine up on some boards - the frame of the machine was about 3" off the ground. So, with the leveling pads removed, sitting on the ground, and with the housing and motor removed, I think you're looking at a net max height of 91.6 - 3 = 88.6". But, remember you'll need *something* to get under the mill (forklift, jack, etc.) to roll it in. The drayage guy said he could probably get away with just needing about 2" for his forkllift arms. My minimum entry point is 91.5" so I think we'll be able to get the machine on a forklift and rolling at just about 90.6 inches, or less that 1" clearance.
FWIW I asked the local HFO and they couldnt dig any min. ship height up on this somewhat non-standard machine.

Just called my local HFO and asked how hard it is to take the changer and motor off. He said 2 people can unbolt it and remove the motor. Didn't give me much more detail beyond that. If anyone has additional info or experience removing the tool changer and motor please let me know.

I am going to have to remove the header board, remove the outside siding and trim and cut the sheathing to the entrance of my garage in order to get the machine in even with the motor removed.

Thanks for your info, it was very helpful in working out the logistics.

Sure thing. Someone else wrote me and said they had a friend who removed a SMTC from a VF2 to get into their garage. Go to Instagram and search "oneeartim". Then scroll back to a post about August 1, 2018 (I think that's when he receives the machine at home). He's got some images of the removal and perhaps you could ping him if you had specific questions. Looks like he removed the entire SMTC and then remounted it once the machine was inside.37330580_216455992375372_244863502953480192_n(1).jpg
I receive my SMM2 with SMTC this Friday so we'll see if it gets in under the 91.5" without removing the SMTC.

Last edited:
Sure thing. Someone else wrote me and said they had a friend who removed a SMTC from a VF2 to get into their garage. Go to Instagram and search "oneeartim". Then scroll back to a post about August 1, 2018 (I think that's when he receives the machine at home). He's got some images of the removal and perhaps you could ping him if you had specific questions. Looks like he removed the entire SMTC and then remounted it once the machine was inside.View attachment 251436
I receive my SMM2 with SMTC this Friday so we'll see if it gets in under the 91.5" without removing the SMTC.

Very familiar with oneeartim from Autodesk and the webinars. Thanks for the lead, I will contact Tim.

Contacted Tim and he said that thing ways on the heavier side of 500#!!!! Funny my HFO said 2 guys can lift it up, they probably thought I was talking about the umbrella style changer even though I side 24 tool side mount 2-3 times during the conversation.

You've been working out at the gym, right? Ha! At least you know what you're up against. Seems like the SMMT on the SMM2 is pretty rare - maybe that's why they "mis-heard" you. Looks like oneeartim used a forklift. Hope you can get it sorted out.

Got the machine in. We had to unbolt the motor on top of the tool changer, but didn’t have to touch the tool changer itself. Entry opening was 91.5” and we had about .5” clearance.
A575CCDA-E754-452E-9565-91DB1162612E.jpg
AB1F3766-BEA8-4F57-B0A2-A481BDD446C9.jpg
79F9A16D-2D36-407F-A5AE-289FCDFA5485.jpg

Nice! I like the building. It looks old (for California). I see Lawson riggers, so guess SF Bay area, but then again, it's not raining in the photos, which it has done an awful lot of lately in the Bar Area. Congrats on a smooth move.

Nice! I like the building. It looks old (for California). I see Lawson riggers, so guess SF Bay area, but then again, it's not raining in the photos, which it has done an awful lot of lately in the Bar Area. Congrats on a smooth move.

Yes, we're right in Upper Haight, SF. The building is an old auto garage from ~1907 and converted to offices in the 1980's. We did a renovation and added a shop when we moved in a few years ago. Lawson was good - the move went smoothly and yes, we were lucky with the weather - sunny and dry just that day!

Back