What's new
What's new

Swapping Processor Boards

hrhoward

Plastic
Hello,

We have a couple of Haas' laying around with various repairs needed. ('00 VF2, '99 VF0E, '96 VF0E)
The VF2 has a newly rebuilt spindle but the control was freezing up from time to time and now, when powering up, we get a pretty much solid green screen and bupkis.
This board has been sent out and repaired a couple times (under warranty) and each time we get it back it works for a couple days (non production) then starts freezing and then eventually dead.

Was thinking about swapping the processor board out of the '99 (32-3092 rev A) into the '00 (32-3092D rev D).
Software version are '00 1024N, '99 1021N.
I have the parameters for the '00 printed out.

Question is, are they compatible enough?

IMG_5979.jpgIMG_5981.jpg

... from the white-sheets, HSM is a NO (so no copro I think) and mem on both says 1Mb... I think you're ok but may want to see if someone w/ more expert knowledge replies.

Do you know if either or both have the Co-Processor option on the CPU. Also the total memory of the 2 CPU boards? So you know the mem sizes and if you are close or not on memory needs.
I Thnk 10.24 has the HSM option and requires a Co-processor and the unlock code if utilized. Some earlier 10.1x 10.2x (I do not know which) did not need a unlock code for the HSM feature and some I think even ran the early version of HSM w/o a co-pro. Point is, I think overall they should work but you may need to be careful of what option exist between the two boards. I mean it's close but only an HFO will probsably know a full board compatibility listing. There are some versions of the Mocon and SKBIF too that could need some specific matching revs- But you are really close from 10.21 to 20.24

I have sent the board original to the '00 off along with the power supply. They are going to log the power supply.
Didn't get the memory amounts off of it before I sent it out.
We'll see what is found out.

Had a similar problem with a processor ( actually had the same problem with 3 different processors in the same machine) oddly I left the green ground wires off and didn't put the cage back on. that was 6 years ago and it's still running today. was some sort of a grounding issue that I never trouble shoot all the way. but I had swapped the other processes back in and they all worked fine. maybe it's just a oddity??

Wow.. good to know. That's just weird. there are so many docs out there on eddy and ground loops. Where to even start. I do often wonder about putting in a ground rod for the Haas (or not) Wondered if you have one Hoss710? Just curious? Mine is all based on the neutral/earth bonded home ground at the box. No post in the soil yet. :-0
Have a great week all

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Powering CNC Equipment | EC&M

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/media/ku...tyConsiderationsforCNCMachines_2019-06-26.pdf

Had a similar problem with a processor ( actually had the same problem with 3 different processors in the same machine) oddly I left the green ground wires off and didn't put the cage back on. that was 6 years ago and it's still running today. was some sort of a grounding issue that I never trouble shoot all the way. but I had swapped the other processes back in and they all worked fine. maybe it's just a oddity??

Back