What's new
What's new

Switching inch to mm wipes calibration of probe

arj3090

Plastic
Last week we received a new HAAS VF4. After the service guy set the machine up and calibrated the probe, we had him switch the units to metric. About 2 hours after he left, we started learning to use the probe and found it did not work. After a couple hours we tracked it down to being calibrated in INCH, then being switched to Metric without recalibrating.

Has anyone experienced this? I consider this quite an inconvenience and even possibly a bug. We do everything in Metric, but if a shop switched frequently, it would require a re-calibration every time. I want to put in a request to Haas to see if this could be fixed, but I cannot find anyway to report machine issues.

In our case we didn't yet have the calibration ring and tool. Fortunately we found the macro variables that we manually converted from inch to metric that kept us from losing a full weekend of production.

I haven't encountered it, but was aware of it. As I understand it, you're not supposed to switch back and forth regularly, you're supposed to pick one and stay with it. I suppose one could come up with a macro to convert the calibration data, but there would likely be a little bit of error due to rounding.

We switch everything at the CAD/CAM level, even if we have metric customers we still run standard for everything.

Back