What's new
What's new

Tap retract speed: J function. Is there a default speed with no J?

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I'm not a machinist but I've learned through teaching myself (and mistakes, lol) and lurking the internet. After an operator crashed the machine a few weeks ago, I've been giving our aluminum drilling and milling Haas VF2 more attention and come to realize the programs were written painfully slow (and some incorrect according to prints). I've managed to cut the times down to a third with better results.

Since yesterday, the 1/4-20 2B holes were suddenly allowing the NOGO gauge to GO. A tap broke so the operator changed it and suddenly nothing works anymore. We tried everything: new and different taps, drill bits, feeds/speeds, exchanged holders, etc. Nothing. The one thing I did notice was I removed the J2 from the old program. Since I sped up the tap, I figure I didn't need the J2 (old program was tapping painfully slow). When I made this change a few weeks ago, everything was running fine so I'm stumped as to why it started giving us problems all of a sudden. Well, I put in J1 and it began retracting slower than not having a J. Now the gauges work. GO goes and NOGO doesn't GO anymore. Without a J it seemed like it was retracting at J10 and apparently screwing up the threads.

Is there a default retract speed when you don't use a J? Can't see why it can't retract at J1 even without a J? It's not the end of the world but wouldn't have to make sure I enter J1 in all the programs I just revised.

I would use setting 130 (I think) to control retract speed. I believe you can use 1-4, 1 being same as feed, 4 being 4x faster.

Back