What's new
What's new

Telescopic way cover rubber material replacement

Interesting as I actually was looking at replacing a few of the gaskets on my covers. I don't know of any source, but if you do find a source please post here. I get the feeling it might end up being another one of those just bend over and let Haas have their way with you moments that we all must endure at some point or another.

After some further digging, I found that link on another CNC fourm post post from a few years ago. Thanks. I called them and they gave me a price for $40 per 8 foot piece. 3 pieces to get 24 feet equals $120. Not much different than haas' price unfortunately. I'm going to see if 24 feet is needed or if I can get away with 2 8 footers. Pretty much all of the rubber is rotted away on my 99 vf0e so no matter which option I take, I am going to replace all of them.

I've dicked around with this same scenario more then once over the years and always end up back at square one, which is buying the factory ones and being done with it. The aftermarket sellers seem to know the score and just as you've found, price their stuff only slightly better the the OEMs.

Truth is, the space allowed and the shape of it is very exact and limited. Unless you're fitting an exact profile, you're just going to end up fighting it the whole way only to have who-knows-what effectiveness and/or longevity. If they don't fit exactly right they'll likely pull out or peel under, and that pretty much leaves you with a mess.

I know... the high prices suck, but so does a lot of dinking around wasting time for little gain.

I was once able to make my own door sweeping metal strip backed seals on a Mori lathe. Mainly because they were basically a flat strip of rubber with some holes in to match the mounting. Strip rubber is easy to find. I doubt that's what your telescoping covers have.

OP's choice for sure Just sharing a little of my pain.

Last edited:
Yep,

I'm just going to order from haas. If it was half price that would have been different, but no sense fucking around to save $30. lol.

Good to know there is alternative options in case haas would stop making this for some reason.

Yes the price is high for what it is.

But it is also in stock
You know it will fit your machine
You will have enough left over for several more machines.

If $150 bucks for this is going to break the bank...your in the wrong business.

That said...I don't mind spending $250+ bucks on a digital micrometer...but having to go to the local supermarket to buy a $3.00 replacement battery for $5.00 has me gong to several stores looking for the right price. Then not finding and ordering a dozen online that will inevitably go bad before I use them all...penny wise dollar foolish. I get caught up in it too.

Yes the price is high for what it is.

But it is also in stock
You know it will fit your machine
You will have enough left over for several more machines.

If $150 bucks for this is going to break the bank...your in the wrong business.

That said...I don't mind spending $250+ bucks on a digital micrometer...but having to go to the local supermarket to buy a $3.00 replacement battery for $5.00 has me gong to several stores looking for the right price. Then not finding and ordering a dozen online that will inevitably go bad before I use them all...penny wise dollar foolish. I get caught up in it too.

I know what you mean. Never said it was going to break me, I was just curious if there was another solution out there, as there are people much more knowledgeable about haas than I am on this fourm. I wasn't in a rush to replace and I am trying to be smart about what I am spending with all of the bullshit going on right now lol. Everything I found leads back to haas. Figured it was worth a shot before pulling the trigger. I'm pretty sure the 24 feet is enough to just cover this machine if I added everything up correctly. For both the x and y axis.

EDIT: sorry just remeasured, need about 16 feet for the whole machine.

Back