What's new
What's new

Is there a Pcool range adjustment?

shire

Plastic
I have a haas VF-2SS and a pCool nozzle installed. I'm trying to fine tune this a bit, and notice that position 1 of the pcool points directly at the body of the spindle above the start of the tool holder so is of no use except for perhaps making a mess. I would have expected there's a way to adjust the overall range of the pcool so that it starts at a more appropriate level, like where the smallest tool body could actually start. But I haven't had any luck finding anything about this being an option in forums or in manuals. Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust this mechanically or via configuration so that my 1-34 range of positions better corresponds to the range of tool lengths?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have several of those and have taken the nozzle off and bent it a bit with a tube bender and take out the bent wire thing in it that catches chips making it plug up

Thanks countryguy, have seen most of those posts and videos but I'm really looking to resolve the issue that position #1 corresponds to a height that is never going to be really useful I don't think any of these directly address that in particular (unless I missed a something in there please let me know), although they've all been useful resources.

Per kustomizer's, and the youtube video you posted, it seems like modifying the nozzle may be the a good backup solution if there's no way to configure the nozzle. I was thinking this would be my next step if I couldn't find another way to go about this. Good to know this has been working for Kustomizer.

As a side note I hadn't read the "macro to set pcool" thread before, but this issue is all part of a larger project of mine to improve on a "haas tip of the day" post about their macro to automatically set the pcool nozzle based upon tool height. Working on something that should hopefully run faster (ie: not a g-code loop), be generated as part of my Fusion 360 post output, and account for tool diameter as well as measured length, and be easier to customize per machine setup/differences. Will have post here if I have any success at it.

Yikes. Talk about OCD.

Why on earth is it necessary that position 1 be angled perfectly for your shortest tool? It doesn't matter what the hell the number is. It's just an offset.

#1 could be pointing at the sky. It still works all the same. Put in a number and it points at your tool where you want.

A macro to set position is too slow? LOL. Milliseconds is too slow, you need something faster?

Next are you going to post about #13013 and ask why this value is not exactly 100.0000 when the coolant level is 100%?

Wait til you find out that each machine's p-cool will be a different offset.

Yikes. Talk about OCD.

Why on earth is it necessary that position 1 be angled perfectly for your shortest tool? It doesn't matter what the hell the number is. It's just an offset.

#1 could be pointing at the sky. It still works all the same. Put in a number and it points at your tool where you want.

A macro to set position is too slow? LOL. Milliseconds is too slow, you need something faster?

Next are you going to post about #13013 and ask why this value is not exactly 100.0000 when the coolant level is 100%?

In my case the top 3 positions pointed at nothing useful, spindle, tool holder shank, etc. I bent them down some and was able to point the coolant at the tip of longer tools, yes my machines are not the same bend from one to another. The bent wire thing inside the nozzle simply collects chips and causes the nozzle to plug up, but I too don't the macro thing when you can simply bend the copper tube.

Yikes. Talk about OCD.

To each their own.

Because if the first 3 positions of my nozzle settings point above my shortest tool (not even really my shortest tool but the shortest possible tool) then that's 3 more positions I could be using for a longer tool that the nozzle won't reach

Yes essentially positions 1-3 are pointing at the sky and are useless. Sure would be nice to have them point at a tool that actually exists.

I'm referring to a macro script that runs at the start of the job, suggested in one of the Haas tips of the day youtube videos, this takes about a minute or so to run through all the tools. It's not a huge amount of time but when I'm debugging an issue it's nice to be able to re-measure tool offsets without waiting for this to run through tools, especially one's not in use. There's other ways to optimize this but this seems ideal and makes for a good learning project for me.

Probably not.

I'm aware, thanks.

Back