What's new
What's new

Tips on how to get rid of a Haas Frame . Who would want? Who to call?

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Hey hey folks,
I've tried a few people locally. (steel people). I just thought I'd ask here. Trying to buy a down and out 98 unit VF(VF5) in mech pieces mostly. I can strip and spare-out, but the frame needs to go! in an industrial park. 1/4 off freeway. No inside crane or drive thru either.

Trying to see if it's worth anything to anyone to come get?
or the cheapest way some of you were able to get rid of them
PS- on a 98, what is the pillar and base made of anyway?

Tried a scrapper, a steel recycler.. No interest. Just need to make more calls to these types maybe? (metro-Detroit area).

Peace!
GC.

Hey hey folks,
I've tried a few people locally. (steel people). I just thought I'd ask here. Trying to buy a down and out 98 unit VF(VF5) in mech pieces mostly. I can strip and spare-out, but the frame needs to go! in an industrial park. 1/4 off freeway. No inside crane or drive thru either.

Trying to see if it's worth anything to anyone to come get?
or the cheapest way some of you were able to get rid of them
PS- on a 98, what is the pillar and base made of anyway?

Tried a scrapper, a steel recycler.. No interest. Just need to make more calls to these types maybe? (metro-Detroit area).

Peace!
GC.

Can you load, approximate weights of the components?
I would come and get it if it would fit on my trailer if you can load?

Let me know.....

Kevin

If he could load it the scrap yard would have taken it.:nutter:

Last year we had to GIVE a functional boring mill away so that they would pay the rigging. The rigging cost twice what we would have gotten in scrap.

If he could load it the scrap yard would have taken it.:nutter:

Last year we had to GIVE a functional boring mill away so that they would pay the rigging. The rigging cost twice what we would have gotten in scrap.

Your wrong!

Most scrap yards won't pickup single items even if you can load in the Detroit area......only the scrappers will pick it up and load it into the back of a pickup if they can!:nutter:

Right now the scrap prices don't make it worth the recycling yards time and money to pick up items unless they can fill a roll off dumpster, or you can pay for the dumpster to get rid of the machinery?

Kevin

Have you ever seen a VF5? Even after he strips it it will fill most of a roll off and still weight 10k+. Loaded many machines this size into dumpsters and always gotten a check. He's not asking them to pick up a Grizzly Mill/Drill/Lathe.

Have you ever seen a VF5? Even after he strips it it will fill most of a roll off and still weight 10k+. Loaded many machines this size into dumpsters and always gotten a check. He's not asking them to pick up a Grizzly Mill/Drill/Lathe.

I have seen a VF5.....you may also have received a check in the past, you would be hard pressed in this area to get someone to even come out now in the current climate!

Kevin

A wee update! I will be honest, IF I were to cut it up, load it up, I'd put it on my trailer and run a few miles in a few trips to our large metal recycle place (where they would take it if cut up to manageable). but- the owner does not have fork either. it's worth about 700-900 I'm told. (800 now for Feb scrap prices) and will either stay, rise, or fall on the 1st or march. Rigger literall over the freeway bridge will do it for another 700-900 depending on the 3/1 scrap number.

Ohhhh anyone know the weight of the table on a older VF/5? the stainless part helps the number! I guessed at 700-800 LBs?

Stay tuned.. 1 more call to make on Monday. Gonna try my AlRO contact.
Ohhh I should try a Craigs Listing but man... the noise on those anymore.

3/1 price today . 196 a Ton. about same as last months. (told it changes on 1st of each month )

I need to post on Craigs list. Guys on Vaca- I did strip out the board set. It's still worth it for the parts since the kids making commitments for production work.

Last edited:
I would give it to him free. he just needs the rigger fees and TRansport (or quantum teleporter). (still bored. sorry). We have 2 weeks 3 to 4 weeks tops before the guy needs to be out. (so he hopes... ) you know how that goes when you think you can remove 30years in few weeks. Maybe you can.. I dunno.
PM me and I'll connect w/ him.

So it's stripped down, The guy who bought a huge horizontal. 30ton? is taking it for scrap value! So Whew!

Anyone know how we get the Z head screw out and Nitrogen released? The kid wants to take the Z Ball Screw out. We're afraid of the Nitrogen and how to ungas and let the head just 'rest' down low? This is all above my Dad/Janitor/Repair tech JD. I don't want him or I to get hurt.

I think there's a Schrader valve associated with the gauge and other stuff of that's mounted at the side of the machine. Wearing good eye protection, use a long, small screwdriver or rod to press in the valve to let the gas out. Having some rubber-coated work gloves would be smart for hand protection.

Haas Nitrogen Valve.jpg

This is my 1997 VF-2, the Schrader valve cap is the brass (yellow) bit to the right of the gauge. Remove the cap to get to the pin.

Anyone know how we get the Z head screw out and Nitrogen released? The kid wants to take the Z Ball Screw out. We're afraid of the Nitrogen and how to ungas and let the head just 'rest' down low? This is all above my Dad/Janitor/Repair tech JD. I don't want him or I to get hurt.

Stand back 800 yards and put a .50 through it.

Back