What's new
What's new

TL2 3 jaw install question - never installed one before.

helocat

Aluminum
Never owned or ran a CNC lathe before. I am mill only. Picked up a well used 2010 TL2 and it did not come with a chuck. I ordered the Chuck Haas says it should use, A2-5 8". I have never changed one before.

My spindel looks like maybe there is already an adaptor on it? The bolt pattern on the new chuck does not look like its the same?

IMG-2622.jpg

The check I have has the adaptor for the A2-5. Take the unknown adapter off? Any input is appreciated.

IMG-2623.jpg

We have the same setup at work, you can take that adapter off and put the new chuck on if they in fact are the same mount?

One thing I should mention, I could never get the solid chuck jaws to read less than .004 TIR, same manufacture, got it new with the machine......if I had to do it again, I would have ordered the adjust true chuck!

Kevin

We have the same setup at work, you can take that adapter off and put the new chuck on if they in fact are the same mount?

One thing I should mention, I could never get the solid chuck jaws to read less than .004 TIR, same manufacture, got it new with the machine......if I had to do it again, I would have ordered the adjust true chuck!

Kevin

So the lathe spindle already has an adapter on it in the photo? It's definitely a different bolt pattern than the new chuck.

Yikes .004" run out! That is crazy, man I hope this thing is not that. I intentionally ordered the chuck Haas sells with them thinking it would yield the best results for the $$. I mean we buy Haas for "Performance to value" after all. But there still needs to be some performance in there!

Ok will take the thing off the spindle nose.

Still not sure how the chuck interacts with the adaptor but will just start taking stuff apart. Should figure it out.

Well now I know why the A2-5 3Jaw did not look like it would fit……… My new to me TL2 has the “big bore” 3” though spindle option. It uses the A2-6 10” Chuck. Sheesh. Cool I guess bigger though hole, just hope that is no at the sacrifice of the spindle bearings being robust.

HAAS took the A2-5 back no issues and for $1800 shipped me the A2-6 10”. It went right on.

Bit of a learning curve for me (first time ever) dialing in the chuck, but it has adjusters on it and after 25 min or so (Three cycles time wise on loading the two op part on my mill) I got the OD of the chuck to indicate with in 0.0005”. There is a half a thou that I think was more finish on the OD of the chuck but not sure. Torqued down and ready to go. I have not put any material in the jaws and indicated that yet.

Hopefully in the future swapping out the chuck is faster! I would like to get a collet closer for it to speed up some cutting at some point.

Back