What's new
What's new

Tool Changer Newbie

nerdyrcdriver

Aluminum
We are in the process of installing an umbrella tool changer on our TM1. Since we fabricated our own mounting system, we have a lot of work aligning the tool changer correctly. I have two things that seem like they should be possible that would really help with this process.

1. Tell the mill it doesn't have a tool in the spindle.

2. Cycle through tools on the ATC without actually loading/unloading them.
Edit: Solved this question. See Post 3.

Are there ways to do either of these operations?

I know there is an M code for cycling through the tools in the atc without actually changing tools in the spindle, it should be in your manual or on the code list on the spindle cover.

Sent from my A577VL using Tapatalk

I know there is an M code for cycling through the tools in the atc without actually changing tools in the spindle, it should be in your manual or on the code list on the spindle cover.

Sent from my A577VL using Tapatalk

Just found that buried in a youtube video. Just type the T# (# = pocket number) and hit ATC FWD or ATC REV.

Regarding the tool being present or not, there isn't any hardware method to do that with the OEM Haas spindle. Some machines have sensors inside the spindle but not here. So typically the way Haas's umbrella changers work is it ALWAYS follows through its motion of (1) release the current tool, (2) move up, (3) rotate to the new tool, (4) grab the new tool. This way there is NEVER a tool present in both the spindle and adjacent tool pocket at the same time, because the last thing the machine did was remove that tool.
This logic is easier than keeping track of each and every tool in the spindle and umbrella. Since there normally aren't sensors in the umbrella, you would theoretically be able to instruct the machine to crash itself. But if you follow the logic of always dropping off the current tool in the current-adjacent pocket, then collecting and removing the new tool, it'll never crash (at least so long as nobody rotates the umbrella manually)

Anyway, the M-code he was referring to above was actually M39 (along with the T-value). Does that work with your toolchanger?

Regarding the tool being present or not, there isn't any hardware method to do that with the OEM Haas spindle. Some machines have sensors inside the spindle but not here. So typically the way Haas's umbrella changers work is it ALWAYS follows through its motion of (1) release the current tool, (2) move up, (3) rotate to the new tool, (4) grab the new tool. This way there is NEVER a tool present in both the spindle and adjacent tool pocket at the same time, because the last thing the machine did was remove that tool.
This logic is easier than keeping track of each and every tool in the spindle and umbrella. Since there normally aren't sensors in the umbrella, you would theoretically be able to instruct the machine to crash itself. But if you follow the logic of always dropping off the current tool in the current-adjacent pocket, then collecting and removing the new tool, it'll never crash (at least so long as nobody rotates the umbrella manually)

Anyway, the M-code he was referring to above was actually M39 (along with the T-value). Does that work with your toolchanger?

Ill have to check out the M39 code. I get the theory behind the tool changer operation. Its just that it would be really handy for it to operate a different way while we are setting it up. We have a lot of degrees of freedom to lock down and weld and each one can mess with another.

I think I found a way to do what we need by using the tool changer recovery and tricking the machine into the position I need it in.

That one will actually change the tool so be careful.

Used M39 today. It worked well. Noticed that the machine then thinks it has whatever tool you cycled the carosel to. For example, if I had tool 2 in the spindle and then used M39 T6, the machine would display tool 6 in the spindle. It is easy enough to keep track of it though.

Back