What's new
What's new

Tool offsets not working or has it just been too long away from a mill for me

philmeik

Aluminum
Well we recently got ourselves a used HAAS Supermini and this is my first time running a HAAS. I am a bit embarrassed that I am so stumped on what should be a very simple thing. Either I am oblivious to something simple or there is a setting or something I don't understand about this machine.

To put it simply, when I change a tool offset value nothing seems to change. Simple example, if I go to Z0 with T1 H1 and then change it's offset value and repeat G1 Z0 nothing moves. Somebody please tell me what I am missing here before either the table or my forehead win this battle.

By chance did you forget to set the work offset?

What do you mean exactly by "set"? I go to the work offset page type whatever the change is then hit write/enter and it makes no difference to the movement even though the value changed. Even if I change to an entirely different tool with a totally different offset it moves the spindle to the same position every time like it is completely ignoring the offsets somehow.

It moves fine when I move it to another z value, I was doing "G1 Z0 F10." because this has made me paranoid.

How are you doing this line by line?
Obviously, if you do it in a program and single block, then that offset change will not take effect for quite some time until the lookahead buffer is exhausted.

Do it in MDI like this:
G00 G43 H01
G00 Z0
M30

When the program reaches the M30, it'll just rewind without moving in Z.
Then edit the offset and run the same program.
It should move to the new Z point.

If you are changing your work offset you need to re-call it for the control to pick up the change.
If you are changing the tool length offset you need to re-call it to pick up the change.

If it still doesn't work, post the complete test code, its hard to know with just snippets.

Back