What's new
What's new

Tool Room Lathe

motorworks

Cast Iron
Hi
Looking at purchasing a new Tool Room Lathe
The TL-2.
Just wondering how deep the spindle hole is ?
i.e from the Front of the chuck how far can I push a bar
into the head of the lathe?
all the best
eddie

Through. Be warned - Haas has changed these machines a lot over the years. Now a 3" thru bore is an upgraded option, standard is like 2.30" or something. And based off our 2014 TL2, you can't fit a 3" bar through a 3"-bore spindle - they are precisely made undersize for some stupid reason.

You may get a little bit bigger bar partway in depending on your choice of chuck, and possibly boring the I.D. of the chuck out slightly - but you're only looking at a couple inches of depth there. Not to mention weakening the chuck.

The choice of chuck has a lot to do with what you can get away with. Many 8in chucks have a smaller hole in the mounting plate or the chuck body than the Haas spindle. I had to bore mine out and it was hard as heck. I have an older machine so I cant comment on what the available options are now. I can fit a 2 1/4 bar now on my 2004 TL-1.

Charles

If you go into the Build a Machine section on the Haas site, the A2-6 spindle option has a 3.5" through bore. The 10" chuck option has a 3" through bore. Does anyone know if you can put a bar puller on one of these machines?

If you go into the Build a Machine section on the Haas site, the A2-6 spindle option has a 3.5" through bore. The 10" chuck option has a 3" through bore. Does anyone know if you can put a bar puller on one of these machines?
We went through the bar puller debate a couple years ago. Management bought a TL1 without an automatic turret and thought it would be a lights out machine, why they didn't ask anyone in the shop I still don't know. We did some research and Lexair makes a pneumatic chuck that will work on these machines, but after the price of the chuck and integrating it into the machine the price was going to be upwards of 10,000. HAAS was really against us trying this and said it would void all warranty so we ended up not doing any of this.

Sent from my A577VL using Tapatalk

We went through the bar puller debate a couple years ago. Management bought a TL1 without an automatic turret and thought it would be a lights out machine, why they didn't ask anyone in the shop I still don't know. We did some research and Lexair makes a pneumatic chuck that will work on these machines, but after the price of the chuck and integrating it into the machine the price was going to be upwards of 10,000. HAAS was really against us trying this and said it would void all warranty so we ended up not doing any of this.

Sent from my A577VL using Tapatalk

I don't know if they're plug and play but I was looking at the Royal collet closers this morning. I think it was around $3500 all said and done to have the closer and the collet to run one diameter. With bar puller and any misc accessories maybe you're $5k in? That's pretty sweet for a cheaper machine like a TL if it would work. To run say 2.75" diameter tube on an ST you're looking at an ST-25 and that's a lot more expensive.

The Tl-2 is a good machine. What you are asking to do you may as well but and ST20. We bought a TL2 in 2008 and wished right away we had bought a lathe with a turret. It took us awhile but we bought ST20 in 2016. Both machines serve us well.

Back