What's new
What's new

tr-160 setup

Corry

Plastic
So this is a supposedly brand new tr-160. I had a haas tech out, and he said it checks out, but I went a little further in the setup, and I'm not so certain. Here's why.

I was doing a finding the center of rotation (yes, I know it *should* be centered but .125" above the platter). Well, I got some error in the y direction. About .020!, not chump change. So today I figured I'd go back to the beginning and check the platter for being parallel to the table. It wasn't...sort of, this is where it gets odd. If I hit a axis jog, don't move it, and then switch back to y to sweep in the y direction, all of the sudden its within 0.0002. If I move it, come back, it will be off be at least 0.004, but if I jog back to parallel, switch to a y axis jog, switch back to a axis but don't move, and switch back to y and sweep, its all to 0.0002 again. I did this several times to prove its repeatable.

Is this a symptom of backlash? Loose scales? I hate to admit it, but I did drop the tr-160 from about 6". A drop is still a drop. Needless to say I found the forklift has mast drift, and now clamp a brake on the forks when moving, but ultimately it was my fault, and something could have come loose.

Right now, its not trustworthy enough to do anything. If its backlash, that's an easy fix. If its scales, its a somewhat expensive fix. If its something else, its probably just an expensive fix....I hope :) This doesn't seem like a scrap it sort of deal, but I'm new to this.

Haas must have a calibration routine for this, as well as standards for allowable backlash and movement error. If you can arrange it with a local HFO, take it in and compare it with one they have at the HFO and see if they both behave the same way. If yours is performing below standards, it'll be up to you if you can live with it or pay the repair costs.

That is one good thing about a smaller piece of equipment (taking it in) no travel fees for the tech to come out, and a chance for direct comparison. Not so easy with a VF-2...

HFO already came out once. Bigger problem is they don't often have 5 axis capable machines in there to check it out with. So I'm hoping I can narrow in on the issue before calling a tech back out to the house again. If its a simple backlash adjustment, I can manage on my own (and I may just test that theory by adding a bit of backlash and see if it gets better!) I'm still worried about the drop....and the price I paid for it (half retail).

Back