What's new
What's new

Trouble with G43, Tool and Work Offsets

hjordan

Plastic
I am a novice working with a Haas VF2SS and I'm having an issue with using the G43 command and the tool offsets. The machine has a Renishaw OTS that I am able to set the tool offsets with, including a OMP40 (probe). I then use the probe to set the work offsets in G54. If I run

G54 G0 G90 X0 Y0 Z0

the probe goes straight to the corner I have set as the origin on the work piece. If I change to tool 2 and then try and use G43 because the tool is shorter than the probe

M06 T02
G54 G0 G90 X0 Y0
G43 H02 Z0

it goes well below the top of the work piece. If I don't use the G43 command for tool 2

M06 T02
G54 G0 G90 X0 Y0 Z0

the tool stops above the work piece by the length difference between the probe and tool 2.

This happens with all of the tools. I know I am missing something with how the offsets are calculated, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

If I run

G54 G0 G90 X0 Y0 Z0

the probe goes straight to the corner I have set as the origin on the work piece.

If everything is set correctly, it shouldn't. You still need to use G43 with the probe to do that.

G54 G0 G90 G43 H? X0 Y0 Z1.0

Should be 1" above your corner.

What's the probe's tool length offset?

The rest sounds like you've got your calibration all screwed up or your tool offsets negative length? Take a screen shot of your offsets page and post it. Press shift+ F1 on the control, it saves a snapshot.

Sounds to me like something went wrong when running the initial calibration routine (to set up the tool setter and the probe).

Have you tried re-running the entire calibration/setup?

PM

Yeah, the probe calibration is causing the problem. If you run the code "G54 G0 G90 X0 Y0 Z0" I would expect something to crash unless you stop the program quick enough. Running that code without a tool offset is effectively telling the machine to bring its probe reference plane (bottom of the spindle) down to the Z-zero plane of your workpiece, which I assume is the top of your workpiece(?) so if there's a tool in the spindle then it gets smashed.

The TLO value held in the register associated with your spindle probe should be a positive number, and this value must be present when running the spindle probe. The other calibration values are best determined just by running the calibration again, at least for the OTS.

Back