What's new
What's new

Troublshooting TM-1, Power Supply or Spindle Amp

hrhoward

Plastic
Hello,
Have a TM-1 (2000 vintage) that we're trying to resurrect. Battery died. Lost marbles. Battery & marbles replaced.

X,Y,Z home and jog fine.

When I try to spin up the spindle, say 500 RPM using M-codes, it will cut out unless I start at 100 RPM and increase incrementally by 100 RPM. Using this method I've gotten it up to 4,500 RPM but will not increase above that.

Alarms thrown are 123 Spindle Drive Fault & 292 320V Power Supply Fault.

Looking at the spindle/servo amplifier (4017C) the fault LED isn't lit.
The 320V 5HP Power Supply shows "d", overload/short fault.
Spindle is noisier at certian RPMs than others, every 400-500 or so. For example, spindle sounds awful at 300 RPM but pretty good at 400, like wise 1500 & 1600.

I'm kinda leaning toward the spindle motor rather than the power supply as X, Y, & Z have no issues. Could be the amplifier.
I just don't know.

Hello,
Have a TM-1 (2000 vintage) that we're trying to resurrect. Battery died. Lost marbles. Battery & marbles replaced.

X,Y,Z home and jog fine.

When I try to spin up the spindle, say 500 RPM using M-codes, it will cut out unless I start at 100 RPM and increase incrementally by 100 RPM. Using this method I've gotten it up to 4,500 RPM but will not increase above that.

Alarms thrown are 123 Spindle Drive Fault & 292 320V Power Supply Fault.

Looking at the spindle/servo amplifier (4017C) the fault LED isn't lit.
The 320V 5HP Power Supply shows "d", overload/short fault.
Spindle is noisier at certian RPMs than others, every 400-500 or so. For example, spindle sounds awful at 300 RPM but pretty good at 400, like wise 1500 & 1600.

I'm kinda leaning toward the spindle motor rather than the power supply as X, Y, & Z have no issues. Could be the amplifier.
I just don't know.

Disclaimer: this advice is worth what you paid. Do not attempt to play with electricity unless you know what you are Doing. ALLWAYS make sure the dc voltage light it sour before touching anything. The capacitors in the machine hold way more power than is needed to fry you. Play at your own risk.

I would try to Swap the spindle servo amp with the x or y or z. Test it again.
Just don’t command large rpm changes all at once and overload the amp, bump it by 1000 or 1500 increments. Just not zero to max.

I believe it’s a 45amp drive for the spindle and 30 amp for the xyz? Or maybe z is larger to hold the head weight. It’s been a little while I was in the back of a tm :)

That should get you started.

Stirling,

Thanks for the reply.
For some reason I didn't think to do that. Mayhaps got it in my head that the 45 amp drive was a "spindle" drive and not just another servo amplifier.
I have swapped amplifiers scores of times on many makes. Feel a bit foolish now.

Anyway, swapped the spindle amp with the Z-axis amp. Powered on, Reset, Power up/Restart, and Z sounded very angry! Jerking the 45 amp drive out and sending away for "reeducation".

HR

Does the spindle spin freely by hand when powered down? After sitting that long it could be almost seized, causing the overload.

Defiantly check this too!
I would swap the drive in question with a x or y axis. They are not naturally u set load like the z axis is. The try again.
That way you can slowly ramp the spindle and check that too without the z threats of falling

Back