What's new
What's new

Trt160 or 210 5 axis?

Lazyman

Aluminum
I'm considering getting a trt 160 or 210 for my vf-2ssyt to expand my capabilities. At first glance the 210 seems like the way to go and I seen it mounted on the same machine in a Haas demo video, but are there any surprises to watch out for as far as the size? For example the platter is bigger but is there some other limitation that won't let me take advantage of that on my machine? The 160 seems seems like it be less annoying to setup and gives more space for a other setups? If I had the space I'd probably just save up for a umc, but just would like to be able to make more complex parts and 3+2 to save on setups for simpler parts. Any thoughts are appreciated.

(my thoughts, im not a 5 axis guy, i wish)

firstly a larger platter "may' require you to have longer tooling for smaller parts to clear the platter/arm, obviously table space lost/potential setup take down to fit it on., weight of 5th axis to get in/out, cost. .
that's the first things that come to mind

want one so bad but cannot justify it :(

We're doing 3+2 on a 98 Haas ( trying anyway... Just posted a few up from this one on backlash repair) My points (and we're still rather new)

-workholding and part size. We've done stainless 3+2 on the 210 in a 5th axis rock-block vice and it looked super and did not need to be too gentle.
-Yep- Toolholder lengths. Check the heights on the two unit platters. We had to invest in all the right length holders. And then they needed to be good ones for run-out reasons. In the end we also needed to do a spindle taper re-grind as it too had really bad taper run-out.
-You going to stick a regular vise on it? Or do something devoted to 5th work? The dovetail, the accy's and plates.. It's a few $K
Will that fit well on the TRT you're considering?
-Table space? We have the VF/4... so the TRT210 still left enough room to shove on a riser and kurt... pop something in and do 3 and the TRT can just sit inside. What works best on your avg. work.
-Is bigger always better..? Nope but usually I think it is from my perspective and opinion. Worked on my 3 tractor buys over the years anyway :-)

Learning curve... It depends if your system is old like ours and you do NOT have DWO and TCPC. We're stuck w/ COR which is not bad once you get it down, but the kid spends a lot of time on COR at times. (since he's not a macro programmer yet). There are a number of posts and sample code for assisting w/o TCPC/DWO like functions *which ever is relevant here. I'm not fully in the know

Hope some of our humble learning curves help someone.
CG and Son.

I'm considering getting a trt 160 or 210 for my vf-2ssyt to expand my capabilities. At first glance the 210 seems like the way to go and I seen it mounted on the same machine in a Haas demo video, but are there any surprises to watch out for as far as the size? For example the platter is bigger but is there some other limitation that won't let me take advantage of that on my machine? The 160 seems seems like it be less annoying to setup and gives more space for a other setups? If I had the space I'd probably just save up for a umc, but just would like to be able to make more complex parts and 3+2 to save on setups for simpler parts. Any thoughts are appreciated.

just wanted to chime in and say we have a TRT160 in perfect working condition for sale, pm if interested.

Back