What's new
What's new

TSC coolant pressure and gun drilling

vmcguy

Plastic
I know gun drilling in a haas is not ideal. But it is what I am doing. Dose anyone or has anyone upgrade these machine with higher pressure systems. Right now the machine is suppose to have 300 psi and I would like to see more around 600 psi. I am sure this will help with the chip removal and wear on my drills. Broken gun drills suck when it takes a week to get them. Any help here would be appreciated.

We gun drill on Haas Tl-1 almost daily. We selected the TL-1 over a regular turret lathe because it has a long stoke. For anything from .706 down to about .187 we use the machines coolant. For .136 - .070 dia drills we bought a mist system from Sterling Gun Drills. The mist system is temperamental but it works.

Athack

We gun drill from .071 to .5 roughly using Tsc for all of it. How dose your mist system tie into your machine? Most of our drilling is .25 and below.

I would be careful about trying to somehow increase the coolant pressure on your own without some sort of advice or a kit from Haas. I can testify that when the through spindle coolant blows an internal seal it will play hell on the internal working parts of a machine.

In order to actually achieve the full 300-psi at the cutting edge, you have to be using a tool that has specifically the exact resistance to flow needed to create that pressure. The pump's only job is to provide coolant FLOW, and then your actual coolant pressure varies depending on how much resistance it sees before reaching the cutting tip. The size of the TSC ports, the number of ports, those are the things that determine it more than anything else.
Specifically with a lot of the TSC endmill holders I use, they get around 150-220 psi depending on the orifice size. The only time I see it go as high as 300 is when using smaller drills around 1/4" diameter. If you use a big honkin facemill or insert cutter that has 6 separate .1"dia ports, you get easily half that pressure (or less).

In your particular situation I don't know if there's anything that can be done to the Haas OEM pump to make it get higher, unless you were to add some kind of an intensifier into the mix. hmmm

We gun drill from .071 to .5 roughly using Tsc for all of it. How dose your mist system tie into your machine? Most of our drilling is .25 and below.

It is sub system that is connected directly to the drill. The operator turns it on and off.

May I ask how you resolved a problem with mist in the cabine. as I know TL series hasn not got a closed cabine at right side. I am interested to purchase a new TL-2, mainly for gun drilling 500mm long and 7.0mm diameter holes.

Back