What's new
What's new

Turning on a Haas mill

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hi

Some time ago I came across a post where someone was using his Haas mill as a lathe. Material in the spindle/collet and turning tools clamped inside the vise.
Sometimes when the lathe is busy I need to quickly turn some parts and I would like to do it on the mill.
This guy had a post (fusion360) for it. But I can't seem to find it anymore.

But maybe the standard Haas lathe post works also in the mill? (except for some lathe specific things). It's the same control after all.

I have done that exercise with my Deckel FP2NC with the horizontal spindle. It sort of makes it a sliding headstock lathe (Swiss) without the bushing. I hand code it, and find it can be hard at first to wrap my head around the coordinate system. The work is the cutter and the cutter is the work. I park a small compound rest on the table to hold the tool and enable small tweaks to position. This is small-diameter work held in an ER-16 collet.

...But maybe the standard Haas lathe post works also in the mill? (except for some lathe specific things). It's the same control after all.
I wouldn't use a lathe post without a lot of editing. For such simple work I would just write out the prog by hand.

You will need to know your tool holder geometry when you put it in a vise to get Y zero center of spindle.

X will be programmed as a radius value rather than a diameter, Z minus will still be Z minus (make sure you have clearance), and your arcs will be in G18.

Thanks for the replies
I found some more information about it.
Apparently you assign a WCS for each tool and zero it.
So X and Y positions are set. Then you set Z with your stock into the toolholder.
This requires a minimal change of code. I will try it next week and let you know how it works out.

I do this in my mill with a 16 station gang block. I use a standard 2 axis lathe post, and use a G65 (scale factor) of X .5 so you can direct program. Each tool calls up a different work offset to change positions on the gang block. works a treat.

I do this in my mill with a 16 station gang block. I use a standard 2 axis lathe post, and use a G65 (scale factor) of X .5 so you can direct program. Each tool calls up a different work offset to change positions on the gang block. works a treat.

Same, but with a post I customized. And in case you haven't realized, you have an automatic part changer. I could load up 40 pieces of stock in toolholders and let'er buck.

Back