What's new
What's new

UMC 1000 Experience

Cjones

Plastic
Hello fellow Machinist,
I have held back from doing this for some time hoping that HAAS would come through and make things right. That is never going to happen so here goes. I have ran HAAS machines along with many others (Makino, OKK, Mazak, Cincinnati, Fadal, Fidia, Parpus) for many years and was always a fan for the price point they made decent machines. When my new shop asked me what machine I thought we should get I immediately said lets get a UMC you guys will like HAAS not the best on the market but will get the job done. So I got to spec out a UMC 1000 exactly to my preference. I saw they had introduced an HSK 63A 15k RPM option, I was like bonus! WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE. Since day 1 I have seen +/-.003-.004 growth and shrink in my tool offsets do to thermal conditions. I can literally watch a tool shrink .003-.004" over 15-20 min time. I run a full spindle warmup every single day. This growth has been on a day like today up to .007" I gave up on running mold blocks and started some short cycle production runs hoping I could still get use out of it. Unfortunately I still see growth so severe it is really hard to hold +/-.005" tolerances. HAAS "worked" with me for like 6 months on this all along telling me engineers were aware and would remedy the problem. My last communication with them they advised me this is a "large" machine and this is within our acceptable parameters. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY A UMC! I have operated 1st GEN 750's that hold .0001-.0005" all day any day unfortunately HAAS seems to have made a huge regression. They will not assist with a third party chiller it is what it is till warranty is up then I will have to try something. My ultimate goal here is to try to stop someone else form making the decisions I did and growing to hate what they do over it as I have THANKS HAAS! If price is the issue my 20+ year old Fadal holds +/-.0005" all day buy used.

FYI, in one of the other threads about how bad the thermal growth is on the UMC, someone discovered that if you unplug the sensor for the thermal comp, the issue is drastically cut.

Hello fellow Machinist,
I have held back from doing this for some time hoping that HAAS would come through and make things right. That is never going to happen so here goes. I have ran HAAS machines along with many others (Makino, OKK, Mazak, Cincinnati, Fadal, Fidia, Parpus) for many years and was always a fan for the price point they made decent machines. When my new shop asked me what machine I thought we should get I immediately said lets get a UMC you guys will like HAAS not the best on the market but will get the job done. So I got to spec out a UMC 1000 exactly to my preference. I saw they had introduced an HSK 63A 15k RPM option, I was like bonus! WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE. Since day 1 I have seen +/-.003-.004 growth and shrink in my tool offsets do to thermal conditions. I can literally watch a tool shrink .003-.004" over 15-20 min time. I run a full spindle warmup every single day. This growth has been on a day like today up to .007" I gave up on running mold blocks and started some short cycle production runs hoping I could still get use out of it. Unfortunately I still see growth so severe it is really hard to hold +/-.005" tolerances. HAAS "worked" with me for like 6 months on this all along telling me engineers were aware and would remedy the problem. My last communication with them they advised me this is a "large" machine and this is within our acceptable parameters. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY A UMC! I have operated 1st GEN 750's that hold .0001-.0005" all day any day unfortunately HAAS seems to have made a huge regression. They will not assist with a third party chiller it is what it is till warranty is up then I will have to try something. My ultimate goal here is to try to stop someone else form making the decisions I did and growing to hate what they do over it as I have THANKS HAAS! If price is the issue my 20+ year old Fadal holds +/-.0005" all day buy used.

There is a partial fix for that, a temporary one ,

and then a software fix coming soon.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ady-production-386785/index2.html#post3752493

Discussion starts around here ^^^ [The link to the procedure is in the thread .].

Much like what @TeachMePlease has asserted.

@Cjones Don't panic the Cavalry is coming (sorta) ;

The thermal sensor disconnect will help,

The software patch that interprets correction for thermal growth will help.

@Cjones, you are kind of in a unique position to see what a spindle chiller and an HSK interface can potentially dooooo for you in a good way.

Theoretically with that sensor correctly (yet temporarily) disconnected , you'd be able to map out what the spindle does with and without a spindle chiller.

The HSK interface should give very good repeatability (in Z) as far as a physical "Connection" goes.

Personally (I think) - a thermal camera (time lapse) would be quite instructive and might help you dial in your spindle chiller once the software patch is distributed. You may be able to write macros and other program "refinements" to determine how best to coordinate your spindle chiller with how the HAAS thermal compensations algorithms work (once things are running as they should- ish).

Fingers crossed - No horse in this race, just interested in what the "Community" can do to put it's (collective) heads together to share useful info, solve the common problems (as a community) [mapping things out] and in a sense indirectly help HAAS pull focus on problems that it should be able to fix/set straight / cure and in doing so further help those that invested in the UMC platform in the first place.

Try running it without the spindle turning. It will still be the same growth. Our new 1000 does the same thing cat 40 15 k our old 1000 year and a half old doesn’t do it hardly as bad but it doesn’t have temp sensors in the head like the new machine does. Haas says fix is coming. Other then that I like the machine
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haas says fix is coming. Other then that I like the machine

They have some fix available that they installed on my UMC500 but the problem is still not fixed. Service told me they are still working on ultimate fix, but if OP was working with them for last 6 months, this might be a bigger problem than we know since fixing and testing something like this should not take 6 months.

i'm just sitting over here happy that haas took their POS umc500ss back and i dont have to deal with it anymore.

Hello everyone!

We have the same problem, but the manufacturer says the machine is OK, just we need to warm up the machine before use. Now we use machine with max 8.000RPM, and we use G92 parameter to offset the length of all the tools for 0,04mm.

Can I ask you, how you solved the problem? We are thinking about to send back the machine, but we are afraid of that we can't send back, because the manufacturer says the machine is fine.

Thank you for your answer.
Best regards,
Tamas

Back