What's new
What's new

Upgrading from a 10 to 20 tool changer on a SMM2

jj80909

Aluminum
This thread is about converting a Haas SMM2 with a stock 10 tool umbrella changer to a 20 tool changer. Maybe it will be helpful for someone else thinking about converting their machine. It will probably work for the TM series machines too, but not those with the Next Generation control...I've heard the parameters are locked on those.

So, back in December of 2015, I was looking at buying a new Haas SMM2, but was on the fence about the 10 position tool changer...it seemed like too much of a handicap.

I distinctly recall asking my salesman at the time about the possibility Haas would come out with an optional 20 position tool changer soon...I also remember him telling me there wasn't anything planned for the near future...of course they came out with a standard 20 tool changer the next year...

Anyway, it's 2020, I've got the machine paid off, it's still like new and I've babied it all its life...maybe I could convert it to a 20...how hard could it be? :scratchchin:

I started the project with most of the tool changer parts used off a VF2 (ebay). Unfortunately, it had the old style (slow) single pin geneva star, but the platter and other parts were good.

I also had an old 3D model of a SMM and a VF series from Haas. I used the models to verify the center-line of the tool changers on both machines and design a new mounting plate. Attached is a photo of the stock SMM2 the VF series and the plate I made out of CRS plate. Plates.jpg

I went a little over-board on the adjustment slots for the dowel pins and ended up about a 1/4" lower than stock, but it worked out alright.

Next up was removing the the stock 10 position changer and cutting a hole in the upper sheet metal. From the photos I've seen, it looks like Haas did the same thing and built a raised "box" to cover the upper parts of the tool changer.

I went a little too large in the cut-out, but again it wasn't really a big deal. Removed.jpg

On to mounting the shuttle motor.

Luckily, I was able to use the stock SMM2 shuttle motor with the actuator arm from the VF2. You can't use the stock mini-mill's arm...it's shorter. I thought I had a photo...but guess not.

I was also fortunately able to reuse the stock SMM2 umbrella motor. I did have to drill and tap two holes in the VF2 housing to attach it. Turret Motor.jpg

This allowed me to use the stock SMM2 tool in-position proximity sensor.

For the #1 tool proximity sensor, I used a section of the stock VF2 motor mount plate and mounted it in position (one additional tapped hole). Proximity.jpg

I mounted the tool changer "housing" with the rollers from the SMM2 and rails from the VF2. I also built a small bracket to attach the stock SMM2 rubber bumper to the housing (two more tapped holes).

The stock SMM2 tool changer "In" and "Out" proximity sensors were also reused, though I did have to extend the length of the "In" sensor's cable.Bumper.jpg

I now had a working tool changer, but it seemed a little too "flexy", so I built and installed a c-channel brace like so...Bracket.jpg

Attached is a photo of the completed project. Installed.jpg You can see the adjustment slots are way too long...oh well.

After getting it all put together, all that's needed is to tell the control it has a 20 tool changer and adjusting parameter 64 (Z-Axis Tool Change Offset). Haas has both videos and PDFs on doing the setting.

Edit: I forgot to mention how I adjusted the alignment of the tool changer to the center-line of the spindle. I used stacked washers under the rail rollers. You can see one of them in the rubber bumper bracket photo :)

Anyway...I hope this helps someone out...I've received a lot of good information from this site and I wanted to contribute.

Nice work, I have the 20tool umbrella on my 19 MM2. Really glad I ordered it with the 20.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I have a 2010 TM-2 and found thins thread looking for info on upgrading to a 20-tool carousel. Just need to locate the parts.

Ordered a tm-2p with a 10 place tool changer. never had a tool changer to work with before. After about 10 days I could see the value, and found out the 20 place changer is not 'field' upgradeable. So I can't even throw money at it for a 20 place. Unless anyone has an idea.

Ordered a tm-2p with a 10 place tool changer. never had a tool changer to work with before. After about 10 days I could see the value, and found out the 20 place changer is not 'field' upgradeable. So I can't even throw money at it for a 20 place. Unless anyone has an idea.
trade it in or get innovative!
really the carsel changer is a super simple device. there are several examples of diy "reworks" online. from custom curcular plates mounting how many you want all the way to making a chain tool holder for large capacity.
the origina 10 that i has was just a ganiva drive for turning and a couple mag pickups for positioning confirnmation.

Back