What's new
What's new

Very weird shuttle fault alarm where the caousel trys to move when I home each axis

jayathorn

Plastic
Came across a 1999 Haas VF-0E that I might purchase. The machine has sat for 7 years I am guessing because the file in the control is from 2011.

When I power up the machine I get a shuttle fault alarm 114. I tried to home each axis x,y, and z individually and when I do the motor that moves the carousel comes on but doesn't move. Its strange because no matter what axis I try to home its the carousel motor that comes on and sounds like its trying to move.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Is it the motor that shuttles in and out or is it rotating the carousel?

Is the little door all the way closed? Carousel is in the correct position?

If it's like my '93, the arm that moves the carousel has a plastic bushing so if the carousel gets stuck the shaft will slip. The arm has a setscrew- loosen it and remove the arm. Make sure the carousel moves in and out freely on the rails. Pull it all the way back so it's on the limit switch. Then re-attach the arm.

To zero return the shuttle only- in zero return mode, type ZZ then press the 'zero single axis' button

The first thing it does when you hit the Power Up / Restart button is send the carousel home. It sounds like it's not all the way home or at least doesn't see that it is.

You'll have to climb up there and verify the arm that swings the carousel in and out is all the way back and hitting the switch. Then go to the Parameter/Diagnos page and make sure the bit for Tool Changer Out says 1 and Tool Changer In is 0.

It sounds like something is going on with that switch or the wiring. I had this happen when I replaced that switch and didn't have it adjusted properly.

Short answer: If you like the price buy it. It powers up and you can read the program, these are all you need the rest is fixable.

First - Go here and download service manual:
Customer Resource Center

If you can locate the arm and get it to the shuttle out position then power back up and follow Votains suggestion [Its described in service manual]. I have used a 2x4 against the side of the spindle to the tool changer casting to shove it into position.

If you don't have Tool Changer Out 1 then locate connection for limit switch and jumper it. Reset tool #1 @ power up to off. This will allow you to home axis without the command for the shuttle but the shuttle must be in the furthest left position and switch closed.

If it homes, run spindle at 500 rpm.. if it sounds like a rock crusher ask for 3K off price. If smooth run and bore is clean of rust and damage - buy it!

Bad connection, broken wires are most common, stuck microswitch, failed microswitch in that order. At worst it will likely need a days labor and $125 switch to fix. You can do the work yourself, it's not that complex.

Back