VF-1 45 Amp Smart Servo Amplifier Blew Up - No More Magic Smoke
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default VF-1 45 Amp Smart Servo Amplifier Blew Up - No More Magic Smoke

Has anyone experienced this before? VF-1 was mid program, loud electrical like bang, machine went dark and spindle coasted to stop. Checked everything in the cabinet and all looked OK. Powered machine back up and got 163 error code. Upon inspection found that the Z axis servo amplifier displayed no red or green light. I removed the servo amp, opened the cover and it was clear that it let out all of its magic smoke. Several components were cooked.

Has anyone else ever experienced a smart servo amp just blowing up like that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What year machine? If it's a newer 1 with the Z brake, I have heard a few of the earlier machines with brakes had issues with the brake locking up and cook a driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had a few go out...some just while running, others on startup, but most got smoked when the axis cable grounded.

As to a bang...I've only hear a loud bang when the drive went.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdMfg View Post
    Has anyone experienced this before? VF-1 was mid program, loud electrical like bang, machine went dark and spindle coasted to stop. Checked everything in the cabinet and all looked OK. Powered machine back up and got 163 error code. Upon inspection found that the Z axis servo amplifier displayed no red or green light. I removed the servo amp, opened the cover and it was clear that it let out all of its magic smoke. Several components were cooked.

Has anyone else ever experienced a smart servo amp just blowing up like that?

I just had something similar happen on my 1999 vf0e. Fried 2 servo amps. In my case I fried out the X axis servo 2 times. I'm going to guess with a good chance that if you would replace the servo you will have the same problem. My problem ended up being the X axis motor cables and I had to replace them. I would bet you have a problem either with the Z axis motor or the cables. You can test the motor and the motor cables for resistance with a multimeter. That will let you know where the problem is if either the motor or the cables are bad.

5. Likes skoobiz liked this post