What's new
What's new

VF-3YT Shop Setup - Newbie

dpshack94

Plastic
We have decided to expand our digital fabrication department with the addition of a VF-3YT. We are currently running a CR Onsrud 5'x12' 3-axis machine. This type of machining is completely new to us. We cut a lot of wood, foam, and plastics...occasionally aluminum. Boss man pretty much said to get the machine here and figure it out.

Do you guys have any pointers as to how the shop should be set up to ergonomically facilitate both machines? We have plenty of room currently to bring in sheet goods with a fork lift. We have a Gorbel Vacuum Arm, 6x12 vertically mounted digitizer, and material storage racks. Things might get tight with this new machine. I want to be confident about machine placement. Any advise is appreciated!

I'm assuming that you have some type of CAM system to run your current machine. Do you have a post processor that will work with the VF?

We currently use AlphaCAM paired with Rhino for the Onsrud machine. The plan is to pick up a few seats of Solidworks and MasterCAM. No post yet.

...I want to be confident about machine placement. Any advise is appreciated!

Just keep it away from the dust the best you can. Will wreak havoc on your check valves in your oil lines.
I have an Onsrud 3 axis machine near my Haas VF also. Only cut aluminum and plastic parts on it but it covers the whole shop in chips as I am not running a dust collector setup. But ever since I surfaced the LDF on the 2nd table I'm still cleaning dust out of everything. First table is aluminum plate so there is no more wood being cut in the shop.

I appreciate the advise. We do create a lot of dust at times. Fortunately we have a dust collection system but it can't get it all. Ventilation is pretty good as well.

Try and set it up somewhere you can see the control screen and/or part being machined. If you are running short run keep it close to the programming computer. It is more efficient to be at one machine setting up/ swapping parts as the 3 is running and be able to see whats going on.

Back