What's new
What's new

VF 6 Riser block removal

rbregn

Aluminum
Has anyone done this? We are looking at a machine. It has everything we want, plus a riser. We don't want a riser because a lot of stuff we mill is close to the table. I really don't want to build risers for all of our jigs! Should we just keep looking?

Ya, we have a 5 ton crane. I was wondering about all the shields and covers. If they just have removable pieces or am I going to spend a week fabricating all new stuff?At first glace it looks like just removing some bolts, take out the riser, buy shorter bolts and tighten everything down. But I have learned over the decades, nothing is a s simple as it seems!

Ya, we have a 5 ton crane. I was wondering about all the shields and covers. If they just have removable pieces or am I going to spend a week fabricating all new stuff?At first glace it looks like just removing some bolts, take out the riser, buy shorter bolts and tighten everything down. But I have learned over the decades, nothing is a s simple as it seems!

The only thing I can think of is where the sheet metal bolts to the Z axis column, Does your column have taps in it where the sheet metal would bolt to if the Riser wasnt there? and how is you electrical panel in the back attached, to the riser and column or just the column.

FWIW, I had a Cincinnati Milacron VMC with a 12" riser because it had a 15" dia 4th axis. It also came with an aluminum table for use when the 4th was off. The table was 10", not 12 and we loved the extra 2" clearance that gave us for big vises and etc. Building a table might be a wash dollar wise with removing the riser. I currently have a smaller mill with a 10" riser I'm putting into service, I'm thinking of just installing a big sub plate with dowel holes on short stilts.

Just leave it in there. You can always build a sub table and that way if you ever need the extra Z you have it.

When I put in my gantry mill I had them set the bed 36" deeper than the Z travel just in case. Then built a sub table and carried on.

jf install1.jpg jf install2.jpgjf install 3.jpg

I agree with gcoder05 it's the simplest way to go. I had to pull a column on a vf2 once to get it in a small shop. the time it took to get it back together and everything square was crazy ! I couldn't even imagine doing a vf6 !!

Back