What's new
What's new

VF series bed washdown

dcrace

Aluminum
Has anyone made up some sort of bed washdown system for a VF series mill? We have a VF-4 that runs an aluminum job and face-milling produces a 55 gal barrel of chips every 3 pcs. We have to run the auger continuous but the chip buildup on the bed is a PITA. We do have TSC, 300 psi? and was thinking of making some sort of spray bar setup plumbed off the TSC to run possibly from that pump with a shutoff when not needed (when using TSC).

Any thoughts or ideas that anyone else has come up with?
Thanks in advance.

p.s. the chip auger outlet height is ridiculously too low... but the salesman did try to sell us their $4k chip lift..

If by "bed" you mean the Y chip covers, if it's really bad you may want to set up an auxiliary pump and spray bar, but beware of either flooding the enclosure or starving the OEM coolant pump.

Maybe set up a blower? Or a "chip sucker" with a coolant separator to divert back to the tank?

Maybe I should have said chip pan instead of bed.. Not too many get trapped on the table as they are flung against the enclosure and build up under the table. For now the operator gets a good arm workout with the broom! LOL

There is a video on Saunders channel I think of a shop tour that sells a system that has 2 long buckets at the back of the machine as you machine they fill with coolant
until they reach a fulcrum fill then they dump gallons of coolant, i saw it, it worked actually.

The TSC has a pressure switch at the union on top of the head that will fault out the machine if it drops below a certain psi (this is how our 06 VF6/50 works). So you will probably have to rob the flood or install a aux coolant pump. For nozzles look at the brass fan nozzles that are used on a agricultural sprayer for a tractor, drill on the bottom pan and run all the plumbing underneath.

If you add an aux pump and you have programmable m-codes you could probably add a relay to turn it off and on in the program.

Back