What's new
What's new

VF2ss multi augers worth it?

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
Looking at getting my first Haas. Kinda surprised our sales rep said "I wouldn't get multi augers, unless you are taking off A LOT of material" Prototype, light producion I wouldn't worry with it. However I keep falling back in to the mentality of "When I grow to do those jobs, it would help keep chips down. I do clean my current machine out and let the chips sit there over night to drain the coolant back in to the tank (6061 and soft metals only). Steel gets washed down and out when I pack up to leave.

Those with multi augers, how well do you like this, do they cause any issue? Would you do it again?

not sure the cost. but a shop I use to work at had 2 of them . if the chips were deep , they worked well. if there was a thin film it didn't seem to work as well as I had thought.

I have two vf2ss mills both the multi augers and your salesman is a hell of a lot better than mine was ... I have a vf4ss with the single auger and it SUCKS... Its ok for one off proto work but I run production alum on it and spend about 5 min EVERY hour brushing and flushing the chips down to the auger ,,,
The same program in the VF2ss mills I "NEVER" have to flush chips. After one learns how to program the on/off times in there programs the augers work great ,,, I do a lot of face mill work and flip on the coolant for a second or two then mill like hell and if I go after a finish pass I well give it a quick squirt and clean the top off ... most places I have seen run the augers "WAY" to long and all they do is fill up the rear chip screen like I did at first ,,, I run the augers just long enough to keep the chips from building up over time ..

Bottom line is after having to clean out a mill weekly with a conveyor and digging 50 LBS a week of chips out of the sump I like the auger system and how the chips that get past it end up in the back screen and really like the setup with multi augers ... I would NEVER buy a new Haas VF with out multi Augers.

FYI ... skip P-cool

I have two vf2ss mills both the multi augers and your salesman is a hell of a lot better than mine was ... I have a vf4ss with the single auger and it SUCKS... Its ok for one off proto work but I run production alum on it and spend about 5 min EVERY hour brushing and flushing the chips down to the auger ,,,
The same program in the VF2ss mills I "NEVER" have to flush chips. After one learns how to program the on/off times in there programs the augers work great ,,, I do a lot of face mill work and flip on the coolant for a second or two then mill like hell and if I go after a finish pass I well give it a quick squirt and clean the top off ... most places I have seen run the augers "WAY" to long and all they do is fill up the rear chip screen like I did at first ,,, I run the augers just long enough to keep the chips from building up over time ..

Bottom line is after having to clean out a mill weekly with a conveyor and digging 50 LBS a week of chips out of the sump I like the auger system and how the chips that get past it end up in the back screen and really like the setup with multi augers ... I would NEVER buy a new Haas VF with out multi Augers.

FYI ... skip P-cool

Thanks D.D.

Skip the P-cool really? Whys that? I assume because I'll have TSC and Flood. Both bases will be cover with those two.

Also with P-cool if you have a rather long tool once you sink down in a hole/cavatiy the p-cool can be spraying everywhere but at the tool.

Yea..skip the P-Cool.

I have P-cool on my first vf2ss and never once needed to set the height in the program and before buying the second vf2ss I turned off the P-cool on the original mill to see if I needed it or not ,,, that was about 2 years ago and I have not turned it back on , I like the higher pressure I get by having it turned off ,, the 4 stock jets is all I need ,, they come down at a lower angle to the center line of the spindle and do a great job on all tool lengths ...

I think on the older ( pre 4 jet ) mills P-cool was a nice thing to have but, But I would not get it on the newer machines ,

I have single auger on my VF-2SSYT. I wish I had the multi auger system when running jobs with lots of material removal. Whats the point in having fast rapids if you have to waste time getting chips out of the machine? The extra money would have been worth it big time. On a bigger machine the multi augers add a lot more costs but on a VF2 its like $2500 over single auger. With smaller runs it wont matter as much and may actually be a bit more annoying to get all the chips out if you are gonna be running different material and want to keep the chips separate. I would still get it. I kick myself every time I'm dicking around getting chips out the machine. Actually just typing this post is making me kick myself again at not buying it. I would not bother with P-cool. The standard system works very well already. If you have thru spindle coolant it becomes even more useless.

I say skip the multi auger and install a proper automatic coolant washdown.

We did this on all of our Haas machines and they now clear out the chips like our robodrills.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I say skip the multi auger and install a proper automatic coolant washdown.

We did this on all of our Haas machines and they now clear out the chips like our robodrills.

Tried that on my VF5SS. (with single auger) Installed an extra pump and washdown lines. Works great for a couple hours. Even washed out steel chips.

Once the little screen at the end of the auger where the coolant flows out gets a few chips stuck, the extra coolant becomes too much and it starts to fill up. Long run = potentially overflowing enclosure for us.

Don't have that issue?

Seems we have to clean out under that screen every so often. Maybe month or two?

Tried that on my VF5SS. (with single auger) Installed an extra pump and washdown lines. Works great for a couple hours. Even washed out steel chips.

Once the little screen at the end of the auger where the coolant flows out gets a few chips stuck, the extra coolant becomes too much and it starts to fill up. Long run = potentially overflowing enclosure for us.

Don't have that issue?

Seems we have to clean out under that screen every so often. Maybe month or two?
That screen issue is something you can program out.

Look at your chips and make them bigger or use a chip breaker or change your machining strategy.

When doing hsm tool paths, we will try to keep the chips long and fat if possible to keep them from clogging up the screen.

I only have the single auger which works fine 90% of the time, but that 5% of the time the chip build up is a pain. If you're not hogging material I wouldn't worry about it. If you're on the fence, I would get it. As for the P-Cool, I really like it. You can always get coolant where you need it. The only issue(as previously mentioned)is with doing table work with the rotary still in the machine. You just have to be mindful of it.

I wish the coolant rings were in the spindle like the Japanese horizontals we have. I think every coolant ring on the dm1 and dm2s we have are crunched and crooked. Price of those things are out of this world.

That screen issue is something you can program out.

Look at your chips and make them bigger or use a chip breaker or change your machining strategy.

When doing hsm tool paths, we will try to keep the chips long and fat if possible to keep them from clogging up the screen.

Yea just program it out. I guess I just gotta change my strategy to make the same size chip with every cutter size between Ø1/64 to Ø3/4?

Must be one of those secret tier-1 areospace supplier secrets. :rolleyes5:

Yea just program it out. I guess I just gotta change my strategy to make the same size chip with every cutter size between Ø1/64 to Ø3/4?

Must be one of those secret tier-1 areospace supplier secrets. :rolleyes5:

More like step your game up and start making proper chips. When you fill a roll off dumpster worth of chips a week dealing with the Haas chips sticking in the screen... then you can maybe think of every way possible to fix the problem. We figured it out and it works for all our Haas Mills.

Program it out, if you're taking baby depths of cut and making tiny slivers or powder chips... Change it up. If you don't you're going to end up with powder mush in your coolant tank, clogged coolant nozzles and lines and the Haas coolant filter will clog up fast.

Same with not running fast enough on the lathe and making big rats nests wondering why they won't pass through the conveyor. Chip breaker and go faster or a bigger depth of cut

Chips are chips [emoji23] not parts are parts

I bought a walrus pump and added a washdown at one point, but gave up on it as it used too much coolant, if anything plugged at all there would be a lake of coolant. The only way I could see this working is to blast, then shut off for a while, that's why I was curious how it was done. I am running lots of plastic, so there is a lot of trash relative to aluminum.

I bought a walrus pump and added a washdown at one point, but gave up on it as it used too much coolant, if anything plugged at all there would be a lake of coolant. The only way I could see this working is to blast, then shut off for a while, that's why I was curious how it was done. I am running lots of plastic, so there is a lot of trash relative to aluminum.
That is the brand of pump we use. We installed a ball valve at each pump and only open it enough to create the flow we want.

On our manifold, we have small jets that are directional to spray the chips down and back towards both chip augers or down and forward towards the front of the machine for single augers.

Back