What's new
What's new

VF3 air usage

the only air is the spindle flush when it does a tool change, air around the spindle nose and the lube system ,,, it should be using about the same amount of air .

the TM only uses air for tool changes. Only for the tool change spindle draw bar

The VF used WAY MORE!

the VF (unless greased spindle bearings) used air for the air/oil spindle mist lubrication. I'd say about 3CFM is consumed whenever the spindle is running just for the spindle bearing lube
The smtc used air for the pocked drop down, tool change spindle draw bar, the TSC uses a purge air blast.

Im literally compressor shopping right now because i want from a TM to a VF a few weeks back.
my 4cfm costco compressor hardly outputs enough for the spindle lube system, add a few tool changes and im low air pressure.

keep in mind your feeding the spindle bearings that air, you want CLEAN AND DRY air!!

lots of choices out there. im likely going with a 5hp screw compressor as i use lots of air blast doing milling on 4140 and want the extra air.
im gonna look at one of these next week, quoted $7500 canadian for a 60 gallon tank, 5hp screw, 1 micron filter air dryer combo.
made in Canada to boot :)
A5 Rotary Screw Air Compressor | DV Systems

of course the compressors gonna depend on your overall shop situation/needs/volume/price point

the TM only uses air for tool changes. Only for the tool change spindle draw bar

The VF used WAY MORE!

the VF (unless greased spindle bearings) used air for the air/oil spindle mist lubrication. I'd say about 3CFM is consumed whenever the spindle is running just for the spindle bearing lube
The smtc used air for the pocked drop down, tool change spindle draw bar, the TSC uses a purge air blast.

Im literally compressor shopping right now because i want from a TM to a VF a few weeks back.
my 4cfm costco compressor hardly outputs enough for the spindle lube system, add a few tool changes and im low air pressure.

keep in mind your feeding the spindle bearings that air, you want CLEAN AND DRY air!!

lots of choices out there. im likely going with a 5hp screw compressor as i use lots of air blast doing milling on 4140 and want the extra air.
im gonna look at one of these next week, quoted $7500 canadian for a 60 gallon tank, 5hp screw, 1 micron filter air dryer combo.
made in Canada to boot :)
A5 Rotary Screw Air Compressor | DV Systems

of course the compressors gonna depend on your overall shop situation/needs/volume/price point

And, if you use TSC more air on tool changes for the purge cycle. If you run TAB (Haas speak for thru-tool-air-blast) that consumes more CFM still, as does auto air gun and MQL. So on a Haas you can option it up to consume a lot of air.

We ended up with a 7.5HP Kaiser AirTower -- screw compressor, with built in dryer. A little more than necessary for the Haas, probably could have got by with the 5hp version I'd guess.

And, if you use TSC more air on tool changes for the purge cycle. If you run TAB (Haas speak for thru-tool-air-blast) that consumes more CFM still, as does auto air gun and MQL. So on a Haas you can option it up to consume a lot of air.

We ended up with a 7.5HP Kaiser AirTower -- screw compressor, with built in dryer. A little more than necessary for the Haas, probably could have got by with the 5hp version I'd guess.

I was looking at the kaeser units.
Got wildly different quotes from different dealers. If you don't mind, how much was yours?
Was quoted $9500-12500CAD
But due to "selling regions" I have to buy from the expensive one....
I love the package dimensions (I work in a 20x20 shop) but ultimately I'm 500km from a dealer so even warranty work costs me lots.

Probably gonna go with DV air systems was quoted $7500 for a 5hp screw 60 horizontal tank. After filter and dryer. Local representation.
Better to have more then less. Especially if u use air blast at all

I was looking at the kaeser units.
Got wildly different quotes from different dealers. If you don't mind, how much was yours?
Was quoted $9500-12500CAD
But due to "selling regions" I have to buy from the expensive one....
I love the package dimensions (I work in a 20x20 shop) but ultimately I'm 500km from a dealer so even warranty work costs me lots.

Probably gonna go with DV air systems was quoted $7500 for a 5hp screw 60 horizontal tank. After filter and dryer. Local representation.
Better to have more then less. Especially if u use air blast at all

We were quoted $6,958 back in 2016 for the AirPower 5C (5hp).

The DV unit looks pretty good to me.

Back