VF3 refusing to start - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Could it be that the ROM data was corrupted due to sitting without power? Its rare, but it does happen. Some machines will actually lose enough data to cause a system failure, and therefore need to be reloaded. It depends on what type of memory modules they used. Older machines have volatile memory which requires at least a battery to keep it fresh enough to start. Otherwise they have to be reloaded via tape or disk. Yours is new enough that I would expect it to be non volatile. so it could be just a symptom of old memory. IT should be fine once it's reloaded.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselsmoke300d View Post
    Could it be that the ROM data was corrupted due to sitting without power? Its rare, but it does happen. Some machines will actually lose enough data to cause a system failure, and therefore need to be reloaded. It depends on what type of memory modules they used. Older machines have volatile memory which requires at least a battery to keep it fresh enough to start. Otherwise they have to be reloaded via tape or disk. Yours is new enough that I would expect it to be non volatile. so it could be just a symptom of old memory. IT should be fine once it's reloaded.
    Mate I hope so!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    There seems to be more going on here than just parameters. I won't say it's not possible, but I have never had a regen glow like that after initializing a machine or clearing bbu like you did.

    Load the parameters like Hoss710 described. If after loading the parameters and you still get the same condition with the regen, then I think you have something shorted or wired incorrectly somewhere causing power to be dumped to the regen. If this is the case, then it may be time to bite the bullet and call your dealer in. If for nothing more than to get the software and parameters all set back to a happy place.
    Thanks for all your input. Weve decided to get Haas in. We wouldn't have enough time to load the software before the machine caught fire lol.

    Drew
    Ps we'll keep the thread updated which doesn't seem to happen in a lot of cases.

  4. Likes Milland liked this post
  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I'm surprised Haas will help if the machine is that old.
    Check your voltage coming in to the machine and make sure the 3 wires at the transformer are on the correct terminal block for what range of voltage you have.
    There is a code that will check your processor board and tell if its bad. Its not fool proof but it will help. If your board is bad then it might be able to be repaired or replaced. Just make sure who ever fixes it can reload the correct software. I know a place that got my software reloaded and tested all three boards in the stack if you need it. It's not cheap but finding a good board with correct software for your machine can be hard for the older Haas. I have a 1996 HL2 lathe and Haas did not want to bother with my problem in AZ and they do not even have replacement boards anymore.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Hi all. We are getting an engineer in to look at this but just had a thought. It has a 4th axis servo fitted but no 4th axis. I'm wondering if when we cleared the memory weather it set this back to enabled and that's what is causing power to be directed to the regen?
    Thoughts anyone?

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdt3 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. My son found a similar fault to ours and they more or less found the same screen. We haven't entered anything after the dos prompt as not a clue what we are doing. Any ideas where we can get a replacement low voltage power supply? Can they be repaired?

    Thanks again

    Drew
    unfortunately that is not the case. the regens aren't used by the 4th axis at all. a matter of fact the regens are more used for the spindle in ramping up and down in rpm. there is information missing in the control. I'd say it doesn't have the software in it. the 1 page where you were able to tell it the machine type doesn't load software. it's a proprietary function that helps the machine know basic values.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Thanks Hoss for help and taking time to respond. The problem we have in trying to get the program back on from the floppy is the regen glowing. Can we take that out of the loop or even the vector drive out of the loop whilst we reload the software?
    Cheers
    Drew

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdt3 View Post
    Thanks Hoss for help and taking time to respond. The problem we have in trying to get the program back on from the floppy is the regen glowing. Can we take that out of the loop or even the vector drive out of the loop whilst we reload the software?
    Cheers
    Drew
    if it were me I'd remove all power to the spindle driver. yes this will cause alarms. but you wont smoke nothing . the disc will only have parameters and settings. you will still need software which haas doesn't share. so you will still need a tech to come in .

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quick update. We have taken our vector drive in for repair and they have told us that there is a fault that would cause the regen to kick in. We are having it repaired and will report back how it goes following that.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdt3 View Post
    Quick update. We have taken our vector drive in for repair and they have told us that there is a fault that would cause the regen to kick in. We are having it repaired and will report back how it goes following that.
    Quick update. Got the Vector drive back. The regen has stopped getting hot but now we have gone back to the original few numbers and letters in the top left corner. Back to the drawing board.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •