Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could it be that the ROM data was corrupted due to sitting without power? Its rare, but it does happen. Some machines will actually lose enough data to cause a system failure, and therefore need to be reloaded. It depends on what type of memory modules they used. Older machines have volatile memory which requires at least a battery to keep it fresh enough to start. Otherwise they have to be reloaded via tape or disk. Yours is new enough that I would expect it to be non volatile. so it could be just a symptom of old memory. IT should be fine once it's reloaded.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselsmoke300d View Post
    Could it be that the ROM data was corrupted due to sitting without power? Its rare, but it does happen. Some machines will actually lose enough data to cause a system failure, and therefore need to be reloaded. It depends on what type of memory modules they used. Older machines have volatile memory which requires at least a battery to keep it fresh enough to start. Otherwise they have to be reloaded via tape or disk. Yours is new enough that I would expect it to be non volatile. so it could be just a symptom of old memory. IT should be fine once it's reloaded.
    Mate I hope so!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    There seems to be more going on here than just parameters. I won't say it's not possible, but I have never had a regen glow like that after initializing a machine or clearing bbu like you did.

Load the parameters like Hoss710 described. If after loading the parameters and you still get the same condition with the regen, then I think you have something shorted or wired incorrectly somewhere causing power to be dumped to the regen. If this is the case, then it may be time to bite the bullet and call your dealer in. If for nothing more than to get the software and parameters all set back to a happy place.
    Thanks for all your input. Weve decided to get Haas in. We wouldn't have enough time to load the software before the machine caught fire lol.

Drew
    Ps we'll keep the thread updated which doesn't seem to happen in a lot of cases.

4. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm surprised Haas will help if the machine is that old.
    Check your voltage coming in to the machine and make sure the 3 wires at the transformer are on the correct terminal block for what range of voltage you have.
    There is a code that will check your processor board and tell if its bad. Its not fool proof but it will help. If your board is bad then it might be able to be repaired or replaced. Just make sure who ever fixes it can reload the correct software. I know a place that got my software reloaded and tested all three boards in the stack if you need it. It's not cheap but finding a good board with correct software for your machine can be hard for the older Haas. I have a 1996 HL2 lathe and Haas did not want to bother with my problem in AZ and they do not even have replacement boards anymore.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all. We are getting an engineer in to look at this but just had a thought. It has a 4th axis servo fitted but no 4th axis. I'm wondering if when we cleared the memory weather it set this back to enabled and that's what is causing power to be directed to the regen?
    Thoughts anyone?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdt3 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. My son found a similar fault to ours and they more or less found the same screen. We haven't entered anything after the dos prompt as not a clue what we are doing. Any ideas where we can get a replacement low voltage power supply? Can they be repaired?

Thanks again

Drew
    unfortunately that is not the case. the regens aren't used by the 4th axis at all. a matter of fact the regens are more used for the spindle in ramping up and down in rpm. there is information missing in the control. I'd say it doesn't have the software in it. the 1 page where you were able to tell it the machine type doesn't load software. it's a proprietary function that helps the machine know basic values.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Hoss for help and taking time to respond. The problem we have in trying to get the program back on from the floppy is the regen glowing. Can we take that out of the loop or even the vector drive out of the loop whilst we reload the software?
    Cheers
    Drew

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Hoss for help and taking time to respond. The problem we have in trying to get the program back on from the floppy is the regen glowing. Can we take that out of the loop or even the vector drive out of the loop whilst we reload the software?
    Cheers
    Drew
    if it were me I'd remove all power to the spindle driver. yes this will cause alarms. but you wont smoke nothing . the disc will only have parameters and settings. you will still need software which haas doesn't share. so you will still need a tech to come in .

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick update. We have taken our vector drive in for repair and they have told us that there is a fault that would cause the regen to kick in. We are having it repaired and will report back how it goes following that.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick update. We have taken our vector drive in for repair and they have told us that there is a fault that would cause the regen to kick in. We are having it repaired and will report back how it goes following that.
    Quick update. Got the Vector drive back. The regen has stopped getting hot but now we have gone back to the original few numbers and letters in the top left corner. Back to the drawing board.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another quick update. We have the machine booting up now but have a couple of alarms, strange alarms. 118 spindle low gear fault and 179 low trans oil pressure. I am away at the moment and I've not looked behind the spindle covers my son says it looks just like his VF0E. He sent me a picture and I don't think it actually has a gearbox. When the haas guy had a look (we asked them to come and re enter the parameters), he told my son they were still in there and the problem must be faulty switch and shuttle valve for the gear change. My son also said it looked like he didn't want to be there. Any thoughts on the phantom gearbox faults?

Cheers

Drew

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the picture of the VF3 spindle/motor assyreceived_727322827745916.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the picture of the VF3 spindle/motor assyreceived_727322827745916.jpg
    Can you try to post (or link to) a larger, better picture? This one's a bit small...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like my VFOE spindle setup also. Don't know how to post picture with my phone otherwise I would.
    Do you have the Delta/Wye option?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Can you try to post (or link to) a larger, better picture? This one's a bit small...
    Hi, not sure if this link will work.
    VF3 - Google Photos

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
    Looks like my VFOE spindle setup also. Don't know how to post picture with my phone otherwise I would.
    Do you have the Delta/Wye option?
    Hi, yes I believe it does have the delta/wye option.

Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, not sure if this link will work.
    That worked fine, and it looks like your machine does not have a transmission. I wonder if someone tried entering parameters that show a trans present - that could account for the incorrect error messages (in this case, two wrongs don't make a right).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if it has delta / wye then the parameters need to reflect that. if so disable g.b. should be a 0 . delta/wye should be a 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you checked to be sure all cables and connectors are tightly connected everywhere you can get to them?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Confusing Haas gearbox setting

Hoss710 Said: if it has delta / wye then the parameters need to reflect that. if so disable g.b. should be a 0 . delta/wye should be a 1

Haas has a few settings that can be very confusing. The gearbox disable is one of them.

According to my own settings, DISABLE G.B. should actually be set to a 1, not 0.
    (as in DISABLE GEARBOX? = YES)

Otherwise follow what Hoss710 advised to ensure that your gearbox is disabled and your delta/wye is enabled.

Also make sure you tighten the wire terminals coming in and out of both the main switch and your primary contactors. (ground wire too)
    If those aren't really good and snug your machine either won't start or will error out.

Attached are my settings screenshots for my 20hp VF-OE no gearbox and with delta/wye. If you need to see others then send me a private message with what you are needing along with your email address and I'll email them to you.

P.S. It is ok for your machine to have parameter entries for a gearbox, but gearbox itself should be disabled.

-TH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20190928_210021337.jpg   img_20190928_210339001.jpg