What's new
What's new

VF3ssyt vf4ss and vf5ss weight?

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
I know this sounds like a lazy question but hear me out. I can understand the vf3yt being slightly heavier than the vf4 bc of the added y axis but then again the vf4 has a 4 more inches of x travel than the 6” y added to the 3yt. I also get why the vf5 would weigh more than the vf4.

What is throwing me for a loop is why the VF3ssyt, which is a smaller machine, is quite a bit heavier than the vf5ss,especially when they have the same y z travel but the 5 hass 10 extra inches of x travel?

15,000 vs 12,700 is a big difference especially when it’s the smaller machine that weighs more.

Is it a typo by HAAS or am I missing something?
Is the casting for the vf3yt more rigid than the vf5 or 4?
This is the last deciding factor on which machine I buy very soon.

the extended travel vf3 is built on a vf6 casting they just use shorter x axis liner ways, ball screw and table. it's odd looking when you see 1 in person. the vf3 and vf4 are built on the same casting as well. just longer ball screw and ways on the vf4. haas has had fun mixing and matching different combinations.

Great info Hoss710. Well that explains why the 3yt weighs more than 5 and should be more ridgid with the larger casting. I think I’ve made my mind up,thanks.

not sure I understand your question of Z clearance? I have 2 customers that have these. they sit up much higher than the standard vf3.

the spindle to table minimum was "WAY" more on the vf6 than the VF4 I have and it was to the point were it looked like I would have to run long tools or raise all my vises... I have ran some mills like that in the past and it was a pain to deal with all the time , not a big deal for small parts but when I would run mold plates that were like 16x24 trying to shim them up 4 or 6" was not easy ,,, you could not use edge clamps and just mount them down to the table.

I believe the added height to the Y axis saddle( maybe a spacer block ?) but the table distance is comparable to the vf4.

I was told by our Haas rep that the VF3 and VF4 have the same casting and sheetmetal. The price difference is only a few grand IIRC. He said he always recommends a VF4 just because of the larger work envelope and X travel.

yes the vf3 And vf4 are identical except the 4 has 10 inches longer travel in X. so the rails and ball screws are longer by 10 inches.

VF3ssyt vf4ss and vf5ss weight

I remember someone have a chart that had all the Flexi type chassis length and weight listed. Anyone have one that is updated for the Flexi 5 and JKs?

Thank you

So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, the VF3, VF4, and VF5 all use the same casting, but the VF3SSYT uses the VF6 casting? Or does the VF5 use its own? Looking at a VF3SSYT and a VF5SS - not sure which one I will go with. The extra x on the VF5 would be nice, but not necessarily a necessity. If the VF3SSYT is substantially more rigid than the VF5SS, I may go the VF3SSYT route.

Thanks!

Back