What's new
What's new

VF4ss Network conection (netshare)

hitman302

Plastic
I have a brand new VF4ss here with the latest and greatest controller and all the bells and whistles (except wifi).
The problem I have is we cannot get it to recognize the server in the shop for its remote netshare. We set everything up exactly the same as our VF2ss from last year but it still says it's "down" The server can see and "ping" the machine to the point that I can open the files in the machine from the server, but the other way does not work. The machine is hardwired with a cat 5 cable that we used for the machine which was in the same location.

Right now we are getting files into the machine using a usb stick but the boss would like to move beyond that as soon as possible.

Let me know if you need more information. First post and such.

We had the same problem with ours. It would not find the server.
We had our IT guy come in and look at it - easy fix. It took all of 2 minutes.
He typed in the file path manually and Bingo!
Kinda funky to type in the //'s but no big deal.

I have a brand new VF4ss here with the latest and greatest controller and all the bells and whistles (except wifi).
The problem I have is we cannot get it to recognize the server in the shop for its remote netshare. We set everything up exactly the same as our VF2ss from last year but it still says it's "down" The server can see and "ping" the machine to the point that I can open the files in the machine from the server, but the other way does not work. The machine is hardwired with a cat 5 cable that we used for the machine which was in the same location.

Right now we are getting files into the machine using a usb stick but the boss would like to move beyond that as soon as possible.

Let me know if you need more information. First post and such.

This won't answer your problem because I prefer the machine does not access the server to GET it's files, so I've never set up the Haas Netshare as such.
What I did instead is to map each machine as a network drive on the PC ( and only on the ones that needs access to the machine ), so I can push and pull the files from it.

All you need to do is create a shortcut on your PC, and for target type in \\mach.ip.addresss ( on Windows, it is the backslash (\\) and not forward slash (/) !!! )
the first time you access it you will be prompted for the authentication, which will be "machine name" and "password", each of those are what you choose on the Haas control.
After that you should be able to access the machine just as if it was another drive without re-authentication.

I prefer this method because I ( or in your case you and the other programmers ) will be in control of version management.
The operator ( or setup guy ) can make their edits as they see fit, but won't be able to PUSH back the now modified program and overwrite the original.
It's up to you to bring it back, look it over and re-save it in it's original location, or simply discard it.

Oh, just in case, it helps if you forego the dynamic addressing and go fixed IP instead on the Haas side !!!

We had the same problem with ours. It would not find the server.
We had our IT guy come in and look at it - easy fix. It took all of 2 minutes.
He typed in the file path manually and Bingo!
Kinda funky to type in the //'s but no big deal.

Thanks for responding!
Where did he type the file path? In the machine or the server?
I am the untrained "IT Guy" here so it on me to figure this out, any other details would be awesome.
Thank you.

This won't answer your problem because I prefer the machine does not access the server to GET it's files, so I've never set up the Haas Netshare as such.
What I did instead is to map each machine as a network drive on the PC ( and only on the ones that needs access to the machine ), so I can push and pull the files from it.

All you need to do is create a shortcut on your PC, and for target type in \\mach.ip.addresss ( on Windows, it is the backslash (\\) and not forward slash (/) !!! )
the first time you access it you will be prompted for the authentication, which will be "machine name" and "password", each of those are what you choose on the Haas control.
After that you should be able to access the machine just as if it was another drive without re-authentication.

I prefer this method because I ( or in your case you and the other programmers ) will be in control of version management.
The operator ( or setup guy ) can make their edits as they see fit, but won't be able to PUSH back the now modified program and overwrite the original.
It's up to you to bring it back, look it over and re-save it in it's original location, or simply discard it.

Oh, just in case, it helps if you forego the dynamic addressing and go fixed IP instead on the Haas side !!!

Thanks for your response
With this system would the operators go to the machine's internal file system to load files rather than the netshare? It sounds like a good way to go in the future.

Thanks for your response
With this system would the operators go to the machine's internal file system to load files rather than the netshare? It sounds like a good way to go in the future.

Yupp, that is correct.

When you hit the program list, you can get to the User Data directory.
That is where the files will be deposited to, and Haas has made that directory completely usable as the source for program files.
I don't even use the program directory anymore ( not accessible from the network ), I just put and pull from the User Data directory, and run the programs from there as well.

It is transparent for everyone.
You simply copy the program file from one location to another ( PC or server hd. to the machine ), and the operators just select the program as they always have, except
they are located in the User Data rather than the Program directory. No need to copy or load anything.

Where did he type the file path? In the machine or the server?
I am the untrained "IT Guy" here so it on me to figure this out, any other details would be awesome.
Thank you.

IN addition to the shortcut method I've described earlier, you can also just go to the location bar in Windows Explorer and type in the \\mach.ip.address.
This way you have access to the machine even from computers that do not have the shortcut or mapped drive, and that includes tablets or phones even.

On the Haas control..

In the netshare tab...

Domain network name = your network name
Remote server name = your server name
Remote share path = path to the file where the programs reside

you might have to put in your username and password if it is required to access your network

Example:
conceptsolutions
CCSserver2
wip\vf4ss
grt

Thanks everyone I found the solution!

On the newest update controller the "server name" has to be the ip address for the server. Once I punched that in the machine linked right up.
Really appreciate the ideas here.

We just got a new VM2 delivered in February. Just now getting to setting up the wired connection so we can get away from using USB sticks. DHCP worked OK and I can ping the machine from a computer but i can't change any values for the domain/network name or local password. How do i go about changing those values?

I think I got it. Didn't realize you just type values and press enter for those values.

So we were having Network issues and we had to Create a New Network,After I have entered all the correct info to connect to the new network everything works fine. But once I power off my machine it resets all the info to the original network and we have to type all the new info back in every day to reconnect to the network.

What do I need to do so the machine saves the info so we do not have to do this daily? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back