What's new
What's new

Which Vice for TM-1P Clearance?

mtnscout

Plastic
My first post/thread was here https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/haas/6k-vs-10k-spindle-speed-a2-o1-3v-tool-steel-365055/ and I ended up purchasing the TM-1P with 10k spindle (thanks for all the info. guys), now in the process of final installation/start up/tooling and am in need of a vice.

What would the group recommend for a good all around vice that won't break the bank and more importantly will fit within the spindle envelope of the TM-1P? Used initially for practice work learning the Haas control/machining and later for machining fixtures and other projects for knife making(main reason for the purchase).

Thanks and looking forward to your responses.

I have a Kurt 688 vise in our TM2P, only mod was to shorten the hex portion of the screw to keep it from hitting the doors.....it works out nice with the SnapJaws on the outside of the vise for holding larger plates without interfering with the Z axis guards.

We also have Chick one lok vises as well, just haven't got around to mounting them yet.......

I currently have a 10" four jaw scroll chuck, jaws turned 45° for probing, Kurt vise and the fourth axis on our machine at work, pretty much covers all the things we need to do with it.

Kevin

I just purchased a 2010 TM-1P (6k Spindle) for my home work shop - delivery here in the next few weeks, along with a new (demo) TL-2 Haas lathe that's coming in next Wednesday. I'm a "semi-newbie" who did a lot of work on SurfCam and very early versions of MasterCam (and Pro/E for what it's worth) posting to several Makino VMCs and a high spindle speed graphite machine (Mori Seiki?). But that was about 20 years ago now! Currently "kinda-retired" but still do consulting work for a major medical device manufacturer - and spent much of my time in mainland China over the last 10 years or so, 41 trips at 3-6 weeks per trip to be exact. Glad to have thrown my backpack away.

I would really like to hear your experiences getting up and running with your mill. This is my first post, so not sure if it's best to communicate via this forum or by private email. Of course I'm sure that there would be more than a few who would like to read the posts!

Best of luck and to your continued success!

And for what it's worth, my mill has a single 6" Kurt vice. I have used many various Kurt products over the years - not cheap, but that's not the place to try and save big money anyhow!

As your main vise I'd go with a Kurt 6" vice. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I have a couple knock off's for jobs I do not run often and there is a big difference between putting a piece in, snugging it down and it sits square and true and of course holds very well. Jaws easy to change over...

Going back to a bridgeport vise or similar I forget about the jaw lifting and not having to really heave on the handle to keep pieces secure with heavy cuts.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, I'm putting in my order for the Kurt tomorrow.

mlofgren, I'll see what I can do as far as updates but I am a complete neophyte to cnc so the learning process is going to be long and slow. I've just begun the Fusion 360 tutorials so first things first.

Certainly understand!! Small steps first.

Good to hear you spent your money wisely and went with the Kurt. Actually, after reading these and many (many) other posts as well as watching Haas and other videos posted on YouTube, I put in an order for a new Kurt DX6 Crossover vise last night. Nice upgrade to the 688 to fit in the limited space of a TM-1. Next up was a 24 x 36 granite surface plate with stand also on order put in last night. Not that expensive until you add in shipping! It does all add up - fast. The machine itself starts looking cheap by comparison! And of course we haven't even discussed tooling!

Take care - Matt

Kurt 3600V's fit with no modification using the middle t-slot and the countersunk holes in the vise.

Attachments

• TM1p.jpg
    TM1p.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Kurt 3600.jpg
    Kurt 3600.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 124

Back