What's new
What's new

Way lube usage

Seekins

Stainless
What is a good measurement of usage on way lube? New VF2SS and i got about about 30 cut hours on it and im out of way lube.. In the morning you can see streams of it inside the machine as it makes its way down to the chip auger and coolant tank. Seems a bit much to me but Haas says its not adjustable and uses what it needs. At this rate its going to play hell with my coolant and i know its way too much..How much should i be using?

Hi,

Press Settings/Graph twice then press 817 then press down button

these are my settings i have on our vf2

817: SP Lube Type :0
818: SP Rotation Intrvl :112
819: SP Lube Time Intrvl :30
820: SP Lube Time :250
821: SP Lube Input :12
822: SP Lube Output :28

there is also an adjustor knob ontop of the lube box itself which controls how much lube is used at the set time intervel

cheers

Lee

We have 7 Haas machines and we fill the way lube on fridays, it will be down about a third when if the machine has run all week ( 50 - 60 hours ). I have never seen it running anywhere, it seems that most of the used oil gets into a 1/2 gallon sized plastic bucket behind the machine. Thats not to say it never gets in the coolant, some does buy not like you are talking. Our oldest one is a 96, newest one is an 06 VF2SS but they all do about the same. I might try another tech at Haas in Oxnard.

We have 7 Haas machines and we fill the way lube on fridays, it will be down about a third when if the machine has run all week ( 50 - 60 hours ). I have never seen it running anywhere, it seems that most of the used oil gets into a 1/2 gallon sized plastic bucket behind the machine.

I've never had to empty the catch bucket on our VF7 as nearly all the way lube ends up in the coolant.

I am not familar with haas machines and how their lube system works.

But on our Mori Seiki and Hitachi Seikis I am. Our machines have in line check valves, if 1 of them gets stuck open the lube just pours thru it. We would go thru our lube tank in a day.

Finally after months of chasing down the stuck valve we are back to filling the lube 1x per week.

If you get too much lube in your coolant even the best skimmer will not keep it from going bad.

normally the haas machines are set to pump 3 cc's of oil about every 30 minutes to 16 lubrication points on a mill. parameter 117 which is in 1/50th of a second

Could it be the coolant/oil separator is clogged? No oil in the catch bucket would make me think that. A couple of other threads about cleaning that. Do a search if this seems likely to you.

Way Oil Consumption??

Could it be the coolant/oil separator is clogged? No oil in the catch bucket would make me think that. A couple of other threads about cleaning that. Do a search if this seems likely to you.

It really doesn't matter if the seperator is plugged or not. The issue is consumption, not where its ending up at. If it's plugged, it ends up in the coolant. If it's not, it ends up in the catch tank as it should. It sounds like there is a stuck metering valve somewhere. There are many of these on each axis. Before you start tearing the machine apart, lift the manual plunger on the lube tank and see how long it takes for the gauge to fall back to zero. Remember that the spindle should be running! It should take appx. 10-12 minutes for the guage to go back to zero. If it goes to zero within the first couple of minutes, there is definitly a leak or "stuck open" metering valve.
I hope this gives you some direction to start with.

I understand. Consumption. I'd forgotten that was the point of the thread.

However, it now seems like there are 2 problems.
Consumption- possibly.
And oil in the coolant. The oil should go into the catch bucket even if it is pumping too much. He has "streams of it inside the machine as it makes its way down to the chip auger and coolant tank".

But you are correct, consumption is the question. I don't know the answer to that one. On our VF-2ss, the way lube tank lasts about 2-3 weeks (about 50 hours on time per week).

Warranty???

What is a good measurement of usage on way lube? New VF2SS and i got about about 30 cut hours on it and im out of way lube.. In the morning you can see streams of it inside the machine as it makes its way down to the chip auger and coolant tank. Seems a bit much to me but Haas says its not adjustable and uses what it needs. At this rate its going to play hell with my coolant and i know its way too much..How much should i be using?

Seekins,
As I look back into the thread, it looks as if this machine is new? I would get Haas in there asap to fix it under warranty. Shouldn't cost you a dime!!!

VF2-SS 2019, going through way lube too fast

Machine at school here, gets used infrequently, going through the liter in about a month or two.

Back