What's new
What's new

Waycover - plastic slides

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

Has anyone replaced the plastic slides the waycovers ride on?
Those are the little white molded plastic pieces that are riveted on the feet of each cover section.

Just from a quick measurement, mine appear to be 1 x 1 square, with a .350 step that is the actual contact on the casting.
My covers keep slipping apart, and I think it's because these little suckers wore down to a point where they are no longer support the end of the segments
high enough for a solid engagement with the lip of the next segment. ( as if that made any sense to some of you ??? :scratchchin: )

I have a nice piece of 1/4" teflon sheet and about to machine a complete set of them, but make the step to be .250 ( basically about a .1 higher than where they are now )
Has anyone done this?

I have had to make some plastic clips that fit on the top of the way covers to support them as they slide over each other. I would, and did, use nylon for this application. .1" is a LOT of wear for something like this, you sure it needs that much?

After looking at how the thing actually works, I think .05 should be enough without getting into trouble at full closure when all the slides ( 6 stack on a VF4 ) are on top of one another.

Teflon ... hmmm.... I thought it's primary quality is a slippery but low-wear material?
I've had the material around as a leftover from a job I did a few years ago which was a part of a chute for a ... well something.
Certainly I can use other plastic laying about, I have delrin, nylon, high-temp nylon, UHMW round and sheet.
Unfortunately all the Peek I have is 3/4" dia round.
But, if peek is an ultra low wear material, perhaps I can use my slugs to make little shoes for the Haas white plastic stuff already attached.....

Unfortunately all the Peek I have is 3/4" dia round.
But, if peek is an ultra low wear material, perhaps I can use my slugs to make little shoes for the Haas white plastic stuff already attached.....

If you can make that work, give it a go. Multiple small flathead screws to hold them together, or can you make them interlock?

Back